Massive Flathead at NUDGEE Beach!!!

plugga

Hey people,

Today went fishing at Nudgee for the second time this weekend.

Saturday 14/03/09 caught a 23cm flathead:) But today was my lucky day. A last mintue thing, At low tide we walk out on the sand flat and a guy caught a 45cm flathead and i thourt that was big.:S, So we kept fishing, We had fresh prawns, i threw in a SP jig head with a sinker, put a prawn on and threw it out. I felt this MASSIVE PULLING SENSATION and then the fight started, it ran about 3 times. I was pulling him in on 2.6kg line. We got him on to the sand flat and he was 73cm:woohoo: I was really pissed we did not get a photo, but if was still a fish of a lifetime. :woohoo: B)

They reason i lost him is because he bite me of on the sand bank and got back in the water before we could catch him(owell still a FANTASTIC FISHB)). Can some one give me some tips so next time i can get a photo.BTW i was always putting him back!!

But still a FISH OF A LIFETIME!!!

THX

PLUGGA

Good on ya plugga, nothing like a great fish to get the blood pumping!

PS under the new rules you could have had her for dinner if you wanted, the max size has been lifted to 75cm.

Tip - dont muck about near the water with the fish! They are very good at getting off the hook and escaping! Carry the fish well clear of the water, put it down somewhere it cant hurt itself (or get cooked on a hot surface), then leave it to its own devises while you get yourself ready for photo, measure, dehooking. Then if your releasing - carefully pick it up again and take back to the water to let it go.

Remember most fish can survive quite a while out of water, so a little bit longer and more careful does a lot less damage than rushing!

Well done Plugga, we contemplated heading to Nudgee Beach today but it sounds as though you had the best of it. Its always good to hear such excitement in a thread. My only tip for getting a decent photo is to take your girl along - Tacklebox takes all my shots - basically because she's on the ball and I never think to pack a camera.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived