Fishing from the Hornibrook Bridge

hux

Does anyone know about the good times to fish off the Hornibrook Bridge ? My kids like going there but we have had mixed results with catching anything. We have been trying the incomming tide in the early morning, have not tried the outgoing tides yet. I am a bit of a novice.

I used to fish there a lot when i was a teenager, so like 6 years ago.

I always found it eratic regardless of planning. Like one day you could get lots of fish in technically bad conditions, and the next day same time, tide etc clean up.

One fish i found to be consistant was whiting on blood or beach worms.

Another successful method was to float an unweighted pilly or white bait down the current (whichever way it was going). This would often result in Taylor, Trevally and if it drifted towards the channel edge the occasional Flathead. The method worked in the channel where the bridge rises a little bit.

If i went there with the knowledge i have aqquired over the last year from this site, i would arm myself with some soft plastics and hard bodies lures and try both the sand bank drop offs for Flathead, and the pilons for bream and whatever else might be lurking.

There have always been good numbers of bull sharks in the channel as well. A wire trace and a live mullet on some heavier line might also be a good option. I would prob just set this and leave it with the drag loose while i fished for other things.

Good luck!

Angus

Thats the one. There are two bridges side by side, the old one is now closed to cars and has become a footbridge, the new one is for cars only. Most people seem to fish in the channels at the Northern end of the footbridge.

Our blokes spent 6 months there drilling for the new bridges, they reckon bugger all fish there, got a few bream that is that.

When they drilled for the new gateway, they used to come in every friday arvo with all the pictures of the cod and squire they had caught that week!

Ive bin down there a few times lately n i tell ya walk from the redcliffe side a few hundred metres until u get to the 71st car bridge pilon ( they have numbers on them). I have hit that pilion a few times in the last week with great success with bream, whiting, flathead, catties n sum small bullies definately werth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We tried the Hornibrrok again but not much luck. I did meet a bunch of people who fish there often and gleaned the following info. Fishing 1 hour before the high tide and 1 hour after are the best times, use a running sinker to keep some of the fussy fish happy, prawns and worms are the best bait for the area, fishing off the rocks under the car bridge can be good. I will try again and let you know how we go.

Regards, Warren

blue_mako wrote:

James: Don't forget if your not getting any Breambo's go and target a few Squire from the Reefs at Scarborough ;) .

Troy

just an enquiry mate to where this reef is??

looking at heading out that way real soon.

thanks

I dont know about the reefs at Scarborough, the sea side of the rocks under North end of the Hornibrook car bridge are said to be good an hour each side of high tide. I have not tried there yet so cant speak from experience.

Warren

Guest IcEkNiGhT

try fishing on the hump of the pine river end or beside the hump either side use whitebait or half pillies lightly weighted of a night you will get good bream :)

Archived