Starting out of SP's

dan25

Hey guys

just been out at Amart to get a few SPs to start me off.

Have never used plastics before but really want to get started with SPs and also Harbodies.

Got a few packets or Squidgy wrigglers (55mm,80mm), nitro jigheads (1/16, 1/32), and some 8lb fireline, should be enough to get me started. :cheer:

Thanks

Dan

jimmybob wrote:

i wanna see ya nab one of those carp on a sp..that would be sweet as! :)

yea that would be awesome

im heading out tomorow, so ill try them out.

Also saw some guy at my local creek, catch a big carp off the surface the other day!, think i might give it ago :cheer:

1/16 and 1/32 are light jig heads, get some 1/6, 1/8, 1/4 as well..

mind you the 1/16 and 1/32 jigs are very effective, just flick them a little slower and give them time to sink, they are also good for flicking around structure, because they float around the strike zone longer than a 1/4 that sinks straight to the bottom.

use about a 10lb leader to start with then as time goes on get a lighter and heavier, so you can change em as needed.

I like Fireline myself and have landed many fish on it..

Fishing for flatties on sand bars is a great way to get used to SP fishing.

dave

If you want to get some fish on plastics I'd suggest the Berkley Gulp Sandworm in Natural you'll get nailed if they're are fish in the area. And try the Gulp Shrimps 2" in Bananna Prawn or New Penny should also get you plenty of fish!

Make sure you rig your SP's properly too, all the guns in magazines and videos are pedantic about that. Test swim them before you cast them out, it also gives you a good idea of how fast you want to flick or wind the SP while it is out of sight. Squidgy pros are a good buy as well, the S factor works. The packet can be a bit fiddly, but believe me, it helps you.

Another thing you will find, in toad infested areas they will chew triangular chunks out from the belly and tail area of your sp, if you can't get away, you need to avoid letting the sp sit too long on the bottom. Hope that isn't too much so early!

Oh and wash your jigheads in fresh water after using them, sharp points on your hooks catch more fish.

Archived