what feel do u like in your rods

i have mainly used 6 foot light/medium action rods .i like the flickyness.

glass and aeroglass and composite glass rods .

i think the composite are graphite bottom with glass tip.

anyways the new bait rod .8 foot light/medium 4 to 6 kg rod.

yuck is all i can say .maybe i have to get used to it ,but it felt yuck to cast yuck to fish with.to stiff and no flickyness about it at all.felt worse than trying to use a 12 foot surf rod on a jetty.maybe i should of got a light action 1.

i end up using one of my lure rods, a 3 to 6 kg graphite 6 foot ATC spinnerbait.

what are your ideas about rods.

Hey Davo,

When buying a casting rod there are 2 main considerations, line wt and casting wt.

Line wt is an indicator of the optimum line class. This is a guide only and you may choose to go lighter or heavier.

Casting weight is the weight required to make the rod load up under casting. I suspect your new rod has a cast weight of 20-30g or more, and that is why it feels like a broomstick.

When buying a rod I never take the manufacturer's recommended lure wt as gospel. I have an ugly stik that states 2-22g. At 2g it doesn't cast well at all, and at 22g it's as sloppy as hell.

A good indicator of optimum casting wt of any rod is to hang a lure by the treble from the end guide. Sighting along the horizontal rod there should be a noticable flex in the tip of the rod if that lure is suited to that rod.

Try it with a few of your rods at home and then try casting those lures with the rods tested, and you will soon start to see a relationship, and the action too look for next time you buy a rod.

Cheers mate.

manufacturer's line class ratings of rods are a joke. IMHO they are way off and almost always over-rate their rods. Especially for spin rods.

I use 2-4 kg rated rods for 1kg line

8-15 lb rod for 2kg line

12-17 lb rod for 3kg line

Most of my other rods are custom.

I do like a stiff rod, as it makes a tremendous difference in the fight, with a stiffer rod turning a fish much quicker than a softer rod. I also like to fish my line classes to the limit. I do not find loss of sensitivity an issue for me.

tomca wrote:

I gotta wilson barra/snapper glass rod in 6-8kg. Its not much fun to cast and has a long butt. When theres a decent fish attached to it, the rod feels a hell of a lot better than one of my whippy graphite jobs.

Yes I agree, it's always a bit of a trade off isn't it?

When looking for a casting rod for larger species, I look for a fast taper rod with a flexible tip for casting but with a strong mid section for a bit of stopping power.

ah this has a long butt too.think it mite just come down to it's to big for what i was using it for.i think like most of u are saying it would be good for bigger fish.

guess i keep it for when i fish around the 4 beacons.

my old man has old school rods no rating on them .eg a 8 foot wilson 4 beacons rod ,8 foot so can get around the motors etc and move about with the fish and heaver to take the bigger fish.

he had a look at this new rod of mine had a feel of it and said its to bendy ,so i taught i would try it for lb's .but i think i keep it as a boat rod for bigger fish ,since i don't like it as a lb rod.

for jigging i use a mongrel loomis 80/100lb 6 foot rod.

for snapper and the likes, like a very sensitive tip with grunt way down towards the butt so you can always have pressure on the fish while winding in line. grandwave rods are great, can also recomend gary howard rods too, very well made.

fishing in the bay i like a firm rod capable of stopping the one you wern't expecting, i use coastal and older pro caster v or z. 17lb.

for plastic's i like a longer rod to cast, and also takes some of the harshness out of the rod, i have trions, sols, advantages, and many more. and for the bigger fellas, deck winches are the best.

ive done away with all that messing around with finding the right rod with the right action.its cost heaps but i now have 3 electric reels set up on my boat all wireless and my remote does it all for me,underwater cameras,the works.i fish mondays at the . mouth and the bay if anyone wants to check it out,as for loomis,the mongrel is the dogs,just dont snap em no name

Archived