my first lure (and a broken fishing rod)

so, here's a funny story..

i went fishing in Hervey Bay this weekend, and i decided to buy myself my first lure. i picked one especially for bream (although how it knows which type of fish to catch totally stumps me!) anyway, having never used one before, i have no idea how they work and went out to try it but ended up breaking my fishing rod before i could even attach it, so i triedtying it onto my fishing reel instead, and couldn't cast it out more than 3m. lol.

so i'm wondering, do i need to use it on my fishing rod? so it "swims" through the water when i'm reeling it back in? is that how they work?

and also, do you put a sinker on it or not? cause i did and i caught nothing... not that i'm surprised though. hahaha. :laugh:

lol,ahhh. bloody hopeless woman! no sinker required. cast out wind in, cast out wind in. you do this until your sick of lure fishing, buy a boat and drag them behind the boat and sit back and relax, just wait for the reel to sound off, bring in fish and prey the deckie you took will get it in the net the first time, :ohmy: or second time,:dry: or the third time,:huh: but gets it on the fourth time. they will swear black and blue there is a hole in the net. hey shortie :P

noname wrote:

lol,ahhh. bloody hopeless woman! no sinker required. cast out wind in, cast out wind in. you do this until your sick of lure fishing, buy a boat and drag them behind the boat and sit back and relax, just wait for the reel to sound off, bring in fish and prey the deckie you took will get it in the net the first time, :ohmy: or second time,:dry: or the third time,:huh: but gets it on the fourth time. they will swear black and blue there is a hole in the net. hey shortie :P

:laugh: right. thanks for that.. i'm just going to go and take the sinker off then.. :whistle:

hi u need to use them on a fishing rod because u need to make them swin when u reel bak. u also need to work a lure so it looks like a fish in trouble. with sp's u can jig then, twitch them or let them sink the flick up. it all depends wat fish u r lookingto catch.

u probably dont need to put a sinker on a sp lure as your jig head will have a weight in it. with hard plastics u can if u want 2 but the bib of the hard plastic lure makes it dive anyway.

hope the info help.

charles

Mr Fish wrote:

hi u need to use them on a fishing rod because u need to make them swin when u reel bak. u also need to work a lure so it looks like a fish in trouble. with sp's u can jig then, twitch them or let them sink the flick up. it all depends wat fish u r lookingto catch.

u probably dont need to put a sinker on a sp lure as your jig head will have a weight in it. with hard plastics u can if u want 2 but the bib of the hard plastic lure makes it dive anyway.

hope the info help.

charles

thanks for the advice. i'll try that next time. although that means either buying a new rod, or fixing this one. :blink:

Patience and perseverance will get you being a pro in no time. Just keep practising and soon you will be nailing them!! It took me a while when I first started lure fishing, the amount of knots and birdsnests i created made me think i'd never get the hang of it, now its a different story!

Kelly, learning to fish from a fishing forum is like learning to drive by correspondence.

Find someone that lives in your area and do a couple of tag alongs. You'll learn more in one trip than you will from a hundred forum posts. There are plenty of good female anglers around these days.

hairyweasel wrote:

Kelly, learning to fish from a fishing forum is like learning to drive by correspondence.

Find someone that lives in your area and do a couple of tag alongs. You'll learn more in one trip than you will from a hundred forum posts. There are plenty of good female anglers around these days.

yes, i'm planning on doing just that. :)

(although i reckon i could learn to drive by correspondence. :P) (kidding)

Kelly,

I am guessing you are fairly new to fishing but also sound pretty keen to learn. As hairyweasel said you will learn quite a bit from a forum like this, but a practical demonstration from someone who knows will fast track your knowledge. People can write heaps of tips here, but you can't beat seeing it in person - and then trying it yourself and having someone explain to you ways to improve your technique.

Lure fishing is very addictive and extremely rewarding when you start to regularly catch fish, but if you don't get results quickly it is easy to get frustrated and lose interest. This is where that first hand knowledge and practical demonstration can ensure that passion for lure fishing is not lost. Of course once the bug bites it can get very expensive...there is always a new piece of hardware to buy :laugh:

Marty

Pick up a copy of the Berkley DVD on soft plastics (I think it comes with the berkley starter packs) or some of the Squidgy DVD's. They will show you a lot of helpful info. The Berkley one with Adam Royter has a lot in it inc casting techniques, knots and retrieves.

marty wrote:

Kelly,

I am guessing you are fairly new to fishing but also sound pretty keen to learn. As hairyweasel said you will learn quite a bit from a forum like this, but a practical demonstration from someone who knows will fast track your knowledge. People can write heaps of tips here, but you can't beat seeing it in person - and then trying it yourself and having someone explain to you ways to improve your technique.

Lure fishing is very addictive and extremely rewarding when you start to regularly catch fish, but if you don't get results quickly it is easy to get frustrated and lose interest. This is where that first hand knowledge and practical demonstration can ensure that passion for lure fishing is not lost. Of course once the bug bites it can get very expensive...there is always a new piece of hardware to buy :laugh:

Marty

yeah, a few people have said that to me now (to go out with someone experienced). so i guess that's what i'd better do. :lol: i am planning on trying to get to the swap meet in a couple of weeks, so i can meet all of these experienced people who are going to help me catch some decent fish. :fishing:

^^hahaha.. awesome.

If you're up for spending some Rudd dollars, anaconda have their 20% off everything sale right now. I was at the logan store this morning and saw some pfleuger echelon spin rods (they're a burnt orange/red colour in the rod bins)...I think they were 50 or 60 bucks already on sale, so a further 20% off them. I think they looked ok to begin with plastics and hardbody fishing and a good one to replace a broken rod :)

and yep, in agreeance to everyone, tag along with someone and you'll learn a tonne.

Do$tylz wrote:

^^hahaha.. awesome.

If you're up for spending some Rudd dollars, anaconda have their 20% off everything sale right now. I was at the logan store this morning and saw some pfleuger echelon spin rods (they're a burnt orange/red colour in the rod bins)...I think they were 50 or 60 bucks already on sale, so a further 20% off them. I think they looked ok to begin with plastics and hardbody fishing and a good one to replace a broken rod :)

and yep, in agreeance to everyone, tag along with someone and you'll learn a tonne.

hmmm.. now this i may be able to work with!! sure beats the kmart one i bought in the first place! :laugh: might have to check this out.. thanks.

When are we gonna see these "Rudd dollars" anyway?! I wanna take advantage of this 20% off and i've had to negotiate a heap of bills lately (they always come at once)

Weasel is right, kelly. Speaking from personal experience, having someone knowledgable about fishing teaching you the ropes will help you to learn or even improve a lot faster then just getting amongst it on your own B)

Old Mate Sea Dog wrote:

When are we gonna see these "Rudd dollars" anyway?! I wanna take advantage of this 20% off and i've had to negotiate a heap of bills lately (they always come at once)

Weasel is right, kelly. Speaking from personal experience, having someone knowledgable about fishing teaching you the ropes will help you to learn or even improve a lot faster then just getting amongst it on your own B)

i got my rudd dollars today. :cheer: now i just need to find the time to get down there!

Do$tylz wrote:

^^hahaha.. awesome.

Well worth the money. my little bloke has one of these and it's great for tossing little lures and plastics.....nice and whippy !!! It's caught him a tonne of bream.

I'm going to test it on a big bass one day just out of interest.;)

Do$tylz wrote:

oh.. i noticed no one asked what lure you bought?? what was it??

ummm... yeah... ummm.. i'm not sure. lol. (it's at home and i'm at work) it says it's especially designed for bream. though i'm not sure how they know what it's going to catch. hehe.

i'll have a look when i get home. ;)

you can get the shimano sonic series (SSS) rods from BCF around $50-60, nice 1-3kg or 2-4kg one would be perfect. mate that with a 2000-2500 reel and some braid and your laughing. all up i'd budget for around $120-250 for an entry range setup.

my first SP/lure setup was a second hander from a forum member, usually pays to keep an eye out on the forum as they go for cheap as most tend to upgrade as they get better.

Do$tylz wrote:

hahah... well you'll just have to buy another one then... :D

what rod did you get?? jeez.. you can't tell this forum you've bought something and not tell us what it is :P details...

oh sorry, what was i thinking? lol. :P

it's a jarvis walker rod & reel.. it says:

Jarvis Walker Classic Series 3.

6' Boat.

Line Class 3-7kg

3 Bearing System

Integrated Solid Tip Rod

it says that it's "ideal for chasing snapper, barramundi, flathead, trevally and deep sea whiting".. so i'm assuming i'll catch bream on it too.. especially if i buy a new lure. hahahaha. :laugh:

it wasn't the cheapest of the cheap, but it wasn't that expensive either. i just wanted something in between. i'm pretty impressed with the reel it has on it though. it's very chunky!

thatkellychic wrote:

Do$tylz wrote:
hahah... well you'll just have to buy another one then... :D

what rod did you get?? jeez.. you can't tell this forum you've bought something and not tell us what it is :P details...

oh sorry, what was i thinking? lol. :P

it's a jarvis walker rod & reel.. it says:

Jarvis Walker Classic Series 3.

6' Boat.

Line Class 3-7kg

3 Bearing System

Integrated Solid Tip Rod

it says that it's "ideal for chasing snapper, barramundi, flathead, trevally and deep sea whiting".. so i'm assuming i'll catch bream on it too.. especially if i buy a new lure. hahahaha. :laugh:

it wasn't the cheapest of the cheap, but it wasn't that expensive either. i just wanted something in between. i'm pretty impressed with the reel it has on it though. it's very chunky!

I think you might have bought the wrong type of rod for lure casting as that is a tad heavy hardware you got for breams. Nonetheless you will catch fish, so long as you have a fishing rod and reel (though I have seen people use handlines from rocks before. Now you have to spend some more $$ for lures. I assume the reel comes spooled with mono line as well.

Archived