Bass on Poppers

dan25

hey guys

me and a mate r headin to mt crosby weir this weekend hoping for our 1st bass. Gonna try some poppers and am heading to bcf to pick a few up.

never used poppers before but would love to give it a try.

any tips of what poppers to get would be awesome. (preferably cheaper ones)

Thanks

Dan

I've caught a few Bass on Poppers at Baroon and Ewan Maddock. They'll take 'em both in the weeds and out in the open deep water. But have had best results in the early morning before the light becomes too blinding for them. While most people will tell you to try a slow,jerky retrieve to go be shy of using deadstick, full-power retreive. The number of hits I've had at the bank-boat when I thought the 'cast' was over would have to be about 1/3 of all fish I've taken on poppers!

Good luck...once you've hooked a few on poppers...it's like heroin!:)

Give BCF a miss, go to big W get a handful of the berkley poppers, about $4 each fantastic on bass. My favourite is the silver fleck one with a light green belly stripe.

As clawhammer said, I've had them hit the popper as its come out of the water at the boat, scares the crap outta ya! I've done all my popper fishing on dusk, through to about an hour after sunset.

As well as poppers you may want to try some walk the dog style lures like the River 2 Sea Rovers. Easy to use. As far as poppers go I like the Bubble Pops.45 and 65.

If you are heading to BCF..they have a pretty good range to choose from. The Stiffy poppers are good gear.

If you don't have much luck with them try a slow, slow ,slow retrieve. Most poppers will resemble little baitfish but you can also make them act like a bug which has landed in the drink. Tiny rerieves with a huge pause can work well. Leave the lure sit for like twenty seconds then bring it in just a few feet. Bass will often sit under or just behind a lure waiting for some movement. If you get a strike and fail to hook up...let the lure sit again. Bass will quite often have a few goes at a surface lure.

Hope you find some.

thanks for the awesome advice guys. :)

might get a few different kinds, try a few varietes out :)

never been to mt crosby weir, and was just wondering how busy it is on weekends? heard from a few people that it gets busy, but was just wondering?? were defs gonna go for a few km's walk and just try heaps of spots. :)

Dan

just headed out to my local Big W at Springfield. they didnt have any berkley poppers as its not a big shop, but still go a few other kinds that should be fine :)

got a couple of Outback lures Corroboree Chugger 6 floating poppers and a cheap king kokoda Spinnerbait, and also a floating Paddler which looks awesome. hopefully the bass love em! :cheer:

IMG_5302.jpg

ok mate, going to be fishing throughout the whole day, you think if i found some shallow/snaggy spots with a bit shady areas with overhanding trees, would that be what to look for? when surface fishing for bass in the middle of the day?

Archived