Caught My First Trout

Nitris

Well its been a while since i posted a fish caught on this forum, since i moved down to the northeast corner of Victoira about a month and a half ago i have not cast a rod.. finllay i got a all my shit sorted and as im living across the road from the Overns river it was only just a matter of time till i caught my first trout ( which has been on my whish list for a while now )

Caught the little fella on a SX40..( best lure ever ) Saw the whole thing happen as the water is so clear here.. seriously all i have to do is pick up my rod walk across the road and im on the overns river. There is little boilups everywhere.. and im currently waiting for my waders to come from motackle before i get into the flyfishing. been parcticing my casting with it lately but water is so cold im not walking up stream without waders.

dsc03285e.jpg

This is my first Trout Brown im calling on it and going off the size of the lure im going to say 21-22cm.

dsc03272s.jpg

Some Pix of what is over the road from my house.

dsc03283y.jpg

just in from of this rapid is where i caught the trout

dsc03289v.jpg

Looking back down to the top of the rapid where i caught the litte fella

:woohoo:

Thanks Gents for all the kind words.. Im planing to make full use of it.. there was 2 reasons why i moved here one was Paragliding and the other was To get into flyfishing.

The Overns river next to my house goes all the way up into the snowy mountains to Mt Hotham and the next valley over which has the Kiewa river in it ( larger river ) goes all the way up to Falls Creek. Its been snowing on all the mountains since anzac day and is cold as..

So i have a lot of exploring to do.. Just waiting for my waders to come from Motackle.. Water is extreemly cold.. The landscape is spertactular and everything is in autumn mode with all the maple trees etc changing to blood red colours.

The fishing is only going to get better but with the closed season for the Salmonoids starting on June 8, to midnight on Friday, September 4. As they all come up river to spawn.. Most of the rivers around me u cant be in posession of a hook and line within 20meters of the river.. as there is total bans but the Overns which i live on does not have a total ban and can still fish it.. keeping im mind that there is still a ban on trout but it is not ur falt if a trout goes for ur fly.. but would have to be released. All the stocked impoundments are able to be fished all year round.

rayke1938 wrote:

Nice fish congrats.

Are you thinking of starting up a B & B operation with guided tours?:blush:

Cheers

Ray

Id be more then happy to show u boys around down here. As i only have started my knowledge will only get better with time. Im defently thinking of buying a second house down here that is for sure.

Nitris wrote:

rayke1938 wrote:
Nice fish congrats.

Are you thinking of starting up a B & B operation with guided tours?:blush:

Cheers

Ray

Id be more then happy to show u boys around down here. As i only have started my knowledge will only get better with time. Im defently thinking of buying a second house down here that is for sure.

Right fishing camp Nitris' place! You pick the day and 200 AFO lads/ladies will be on your doorstep fishing gear in hand. :woohoo:

Im not 100% sure what is in the river.. there is a flyfishing club in town that meet every 3rd thursday of the month.. Thinking of poping in and having a chin wag with them all.. the clubhouse also backs onto that same river. its a few km's down river from my house and they teach u to tie flies and can even help with tecknique as they can fish out the back of the club.. they dont have any good websites in Vic .. well nothing like AFO.. so i can only contact the club with email or phone.. think it is defently worth catching up with them all.. Id say there would have to be some natives in there. :S

Well being where it is there could be:

Goldern Perch

Murray Cod

Trout Cod

Maquarie Perch

Maybe? I dont know vast ammounts of info on all those species but I think any of them can occur in Vic.

Brief extract on a few of them.

Trout Cod:

Distribution

In Victoria, believed to have been once fairly wide spread

in north-central and north-eastern streams flowing into the

Murray River. The only known self-sustaining population

of trout cod in Victoria is confined to the Seven Creeks

system near Euroa.

Distribution is currently being extended as suitable waters

are identified and fish produced at Snobs Creek Hatchery

for stocking these waters in a program aimed at

establishing new viable populations (see "Management").

Habitat

Cooler upper reaches of streams, usually in flowing pools

between falls and rapids where the stream bottom is bedrock,

boulders and sand or gravel substrates. Larger fish

are usually found in the deeper holes, smaller fish beneath

and amongst boulders.

Murray Cod

Distribution

Occurs naturally and is widespread throughout the Murray-Darling system, becoming scarcer towards the head-waters. Distribution and abundance have declined in the past 50 years. Has been successfully introduced into a number of waters including the Yarra River. There are few localities in Victoria where Murray Cod can be considered abundant.

Habitat

Occurs most frequently in sluggish, turbid waters, usually in deep holes, where logs and stumps afford cover and provide spawning sites. Will live and breed in lakes if water conditions and habitat are suitable. Occurs naturally in upper reaches of the Murray-Darling system where the water is relatively clear and there is little fallen timber.

Golden Perch

Distribution

Occurs naturally in Victorian tributaries of the Murray-Darling system, except higher altitude streams. Introduced into a number of other waters, streams and lakes, including Green Lake near Horsham and Wannon River near Hamilton.

Habitat

Variety of environments, but occurs most frequently in warm, turbid, sluggish inland waters and associated backwaters and billabongs.

Maquarie Perch

Distribution

Occurs naturally north of the Great Dividing Range in tributaries of the Murray-Darling system.

Introduced to a number of waters south the Divide, but now persisting as self-supporting populations only in the Yarra River and Wannon River.

Abundance and distribution reduced by construction of dams on streams, changes to river flow and temperature regimes, siltation of spawning streams and impact of introduced species including trout and redfin. Redfin virus has probably had a major impact on Macquarie perch populations.

Habitat

Naturally a riverine fish, preferring deep holes. Cool, upper reaches of Victorian tributaries of the Murray-Darling system. Does well in impoundments with suitable spawning streams (Victoria's best population is in Lake Dartmouth where this large lake is fed by suitable shallow spawning streams including the Mitta Mitta River.

Great looking spot Nitris.

That trouts much better looking than the Brissie River trout :pinch:

I'm sure the locals will educate you and there'll be some better catches to come.

I'm not sure what the locals are like there, so maybe turn up wearing overalls and a tweed fedora :laugh: Listen out for banjoes....

wow

what a place to like 1500 meter block and river and country like that around u and across the road.

u hit paydirt mate, u must be as happy as a pig in sh*t.

u must almost the the envy of every bloke on here.

i have been down to Victoria 6 times always Melbourne and thought it was a sh*t hole.

i reckon i been going to the wrong place in vic.

that's looks like a magic place u live.i bet u sit there and look at the country and think dam life is good.:)

That is some good research there Angus...

My waders came in the post so maybe tomorrow morning i might go out for a fish with the fly rod.. OMG!!!! it will take me a bit till i get that undercontrol but wont catch anything on it if im not using it.

hahaha ellicat im currently looking at banjo's on ebay :silly:

and yoyo u can defently be the man on the tongs.. :woohoo:

/>http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ashwood+ave+bright+&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=25.771423,33.706055&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.720878,146.948769&spn=0.010819,0.016458&t=h&z=16

that is the link to my street "Ashwood ave".. its hard to c the river on the satellite map... but if u change it to the regular map u can c the Overn's river a lot easier..

Archived