Landbased Bass rigs

yoyo

Gents,

Via reports it seems some pretty heavy tackle is being used on bass, is this primarily because those doing the reporting are fishing around alot of timber, etc?

Pretty small fish and obviously no teeth, i cant think any other reason you'd use 20lb+ leader....?

So i guess my Q is, is it really necessary to go heavy? Obviously they're strong and it'll be balls-to-the-wall stuff if you're light and there's any kind of structure nearby.... but it's ok, right ? 8lb vanish do the job ?

also if anyone has any tips on lure colours for LB at wivenhoe ?

10lb is usually heaps, but every once in a while something else is needed. I'm fishing one particular landbased snag with 20lb. The rest of my fishing is done with 10 - 12lb leaders.

This nasty snag is a small submerged tree. When your throwing a $25 lure into it, it's nice to know theres a good chance that you'll be getting it back again.

But as I said 10lb is usually enough. If you've got nice open water lighter leaders will perform well, you can set the drag to suit. When I use the 20lb, my drag is screwed up pretty tight.

8lb wont really do the job if your around any sort of structure they will just wrap you up and then their gone 8lb is fine if your fishing schooled fish in open water but around timber,grass.rocks and ect i would use something like 15lb or bigger i dont ever fish any heavyier then that for bass some people fish up to 20lb for bass but not too many go over that

at wivenhoe i would use whites and natural colors mate good luck

i was using 15lb leader ,all i broke was the knot between the mono and braid which meant i could get my lure back.it just hangs from the tree waiting for me :).

only got 1 bass so far but was in a river with heaps of trees in it and i was watching him as the water was clear and he headed for every snag he could.i guess that where the 15lb mono leader comes in handy,heaps of tree rubbing.

well gents I have my permit in-hand and will be having my first ever crack at landing a Bass tomorrow morning at wivenhoe....

I've only got very limited time as well, so it will be a minor miracle if i do get one !

I think the gates open at 630am ? anyone know any different ?

I plan on fishing Cormorant Bay....(landbased)

If you haven't been to Cormorant Bay before, the majority of the grassed banks lead out to shallow bays. It might produce bass on the newly flooded grass early in the morning, but mainly you'll only see garfish, catfish and barred grunter/spangled perch. Try the areas around and behind the Kiosk heading away from the wall which are a little steeper and drop off a bit more.

10-12lb leader should get you through this area landbased.

Archived