Trailer Alarm

joe 09

Saw there is now an alarm available for your trailer. This would be great when you leave the trailer at the ramp when you are fishing or even at home as it can be heard if something happens to your trailer.

Has anybody seen or purchased one of these? www.cuda-alarms.com.au

That would be great, think of the fun the local kids would have with that!

Particularly if your one of those neighbours the local kids hate! sneak in wobble trailer at midnight, 1am, 2 am, 3am, 4am.

You'd be as popular as someone with a car alarm in a maternity ward parking lot!

i spoke to Andrew one the salesman he tell me that they have tested it with a hammer and it just left marks on it.

As he said you would have to hit it hard and more than once for it to come off and by then it's already sounding the alarm.

Feral wrote:

Particularly if your one of those neighbors the local kids hate! sneak in wobble trailer at midnight, 1am, 2 am, 3am, 4am.

You'd be as popular as someone with a car alarm in a maternity ward parking lot!

thinking of what your saying and you maybe right but think of those kids already in your boat during the night now and you don't know.and as for neighbors when my boat and trailer where damage years ago they didn't help pay for the repairs I HATE TOO

Feral wrote:

Particularly if your one of those neighbours the local kids hate! sneak in wobble trailer at midnight, 1am, 2 am, 3am, 4am.

Firstly, if the alarm has triggered because of kids in the boat, the alarm must be doing its job. I will say that I developed the alarm and the sensitivity is adjustable. Therefore you can adjust the alarm to allow for movement of the trailer but no small movement or vibration to acount for wind. I can jump in my boat without setting off the alarm however if I try to put the trailer on my towbar of the car it will trigger the alarm. You can adjust the alarm to suit your needs.

Personally, I would question why anyone would be in my boat in the wee hours of the morning and at the end of the day it isn't my neighbors who suffer the inconvenience of losing property.

I hope this clarifies things a bit for you.

Andrew

Smiderman wrote:

great idea but if I was going to knock off the trailer I reckon a quick belt with a lump hammer would calm down the 103dB alarm given its in a plactic box ;

It would be better off placed inside the A frame.

Optimally, a die cast aluminium case would be ideal however I was concerned with corrosion over time. The case is made of polycarbonate and will withstand numerous hits from a hammer. This has been tested on a trailer and the damage that resulted was only to the bracket. The alarm triggered on the first hit with the hammer.

The case itself had some marks on it but no other damage.

case001.th.jpg

It would depend on the size of the hammer.

i would be concerned more about the mounting to the trailer.

I reckon some sort of load cell connected to the tow ball would be a better idea.

The alarm could then be mounted to the car or even utilize existing car alarm or horn.

Only problem is car will be sounding and trailer potentially gone

Just given myself an idea. Will have to experiment now.

Richard.

joe 09 wrote:

as for neighbors when my boat and trailer where damage years ago they didn't help pay for the repairs I HATE TOO

It'll be the neighbours who toss a match in the boat when the alarms has been going off all hours of the night!

I'm not thinking of kids knocking stuff off, just a new bit of sport in deliberating setting the alarm off to annoy!

Just as a matter of interest, does the Transport Operations Act apply? If it does, it must make the wiring interesting setting it up so the alarm can not operate whilst the vehicle ignition is switched on!.

Feral wrote:

joe 09 wrote:

as for neighbors when my boat and trailer where damage years ago they didn't help pay for the repairs I HATE TOO

It'll be the neighbours who toss a match in the boat when the alarms has been going off all hours of the night!

I'm not thinking of kids knocking stuff off, just a new bit of sport in deliberating setting the alarm off to annoy!

Just as a matter of interest, does the Transport Operations Act apply? If it does, it must make the wiring interesting setting it up so the alarm can not operate whilst the vehicle ignition is switched on!.

The software has been written so the alarm only goes for 30 seconds (I originally had the prototypes set at 2 minutes - way too long). The alarm then resets.

The unit has no external wiring at all. Everything is in the case. As it has a microprocessor it needed to be C-tick approved - which it is.

Regarding the TORUM (Transport Operations Road Use Management Act) - there is no reference to stand alone anti theft devices.

Cheers

Nastymind wrote:

I like it. Great idea. Well designed. Innovative and Australian made.

It won't be long before a large scale retailer sends one off to get copied and produced in a Chinese factory.

Thanks for your comments. The software that has been written to the micro-processor can not be read or extracted therefore they would have to develop new software. There are now also design laws in Australia which were put in place to stop cheap clone imports.

Andrew

Good idea. Perhaps in a future revision you could incorporate a second stage to the alarm. It could let out a warning chirp to let potential thieves there is an alarm active without annoying the neighbours too much. Then if there is prolonged movement the alarm would sound.

• 2 weeks later...

bigtez wrote:

Good idea. Perhaps in a future revision you could incorporate a second stage to the alarm. It could let out a warning chirp to let potential thieves there is an alarm active without annoying the neighbours too much. Then if there is prolonged movement the alarm would sound.

That's a good idea - I am thinking along the lines of a flashing LED light when it is armed.

i have my boat armed with an alarm that is removable, works off a motion sensor, about the sixe of 2 cigarete packets and when it goes off. the last place you want to be is in the boat, believe me.some of the things i do in a risky area is;

1 of those trailer locks with the 2 positions

go buy a good lock, around the $50 mark

reverse the trailer up tight, or just rest it on a bump stop

and right under lights

in places where a camera can easily spot unwanteds

Looks like it could be a bit of a hit with boaties. Any deterrent is a good deterrent and something that draws attention to those who may want to pilfer your possessions is even better. Lets face it, most are unhealthy, unkempt and not very fit so are not likely to outrun a couple of fishos who hear an alarm sounding and go to investigate.

Andrew - great looking website and people love to watch little videos, my only suggestion is to put the price in the website instead of only showing it when you hit the buy now button. People get a it phased by that, and think they cant turn back so it may deter a sale or 2.

Ok... wheres my cut now? ;-)

Edit - Just saw price underneath the pic... sorry.

Thanks for the comments - the good thing is.....IF the trailer is taken the alarm will continue to go off until such time as the trailer is stationary again. Good luck driving down the road with it.

I've made the price under the picture more noticable for you booty. Keep an eye open as I will be doing a special in the next week or so.

Cheers.

Archived