Dumaresq river

Aaron H

I think this is the right place to post this report as I had to get a NSW permit to fish the river even though I was still in Qld, these border rivers can be confusing :unsure: .

Went down for my long weekend camping trip to the Dumaresq river, which I chose by looking at the map and thinking it would be a nice place to check out. (Been in Qld since 2004 but still so much to see :) )

On thursday night due to the storm we had in Brisbane lost interest in taking my little boat which I am majorly regretting as there were some great snags it would of been great to tie up to. After an early start on friday morning, arrived at Texas around the nine o clock in the morning and got out of the car to be greeted with very intense heat and swarms of blowflies, welcome to the aussie outback I said to the missus, I love it. Oh there was also a nice looking river as well.

It was then time to set up camp and if I had of known it was going to be this hot, I would of taken the three man ten minutes to assemble tent than the Taj Mahal that the missus made me buy. (Takes up valuable fishing and drinking time :( )

The rest of our party arrived and everything set up it was time for fishing.

Post edited by: Aaron H, at: 2007/01/30 20:33

post-266-144598406562_thumb.jpg

Well unfortunately the fishing was pretty tough to say the least, the texas servo that told me they were on the bite two weeks ago, told me that the fishing for natives had become hit and miss :(

But we persevered and with traps full of shrimp, were determined to at least put a dent in the carp population.

All i can say is thank god for the carp without them it would have been a very slow weekend as the only natives caught were a couple of little jew (although I think my boat would have rectified that:angry: damn storm), with the biggest carp a monster at 65cm.

[img size=450]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCF0193.JPG

Horrible things

post-266-144598406569_thumb.jpg

Hey Aaron,

That looks like a place called Gibraltar. I've camped there with my young blokes a couple of times. Haven't caught or seen a carp though. (If it is Gibraltar) I have had success from the \"bank\" at night with some cod (just either side of legal). Last time I was there in September there were swags of what I think were Silver perch feeding in some of the shallower holes. They ranged from about 4 - 14 inches. They appeared for about one hour everyday from 9am - 10am but would not take a bait (floated and on the bottom) nor a lure - hard and soft. The most frustrating fishing I have done - I could see my bait etc right in front of them but they wouldn't touch it. Shrimp, worms, bread - just not interested.

On the boat issue - I have two BigW blowup 2 person boats that I always throw in when going camping (just in case) They're ideal for setting a set line etc and only cost $20.

In the area there is also Coolmunda Dam about 40 minutes up the road which has some great fishing for yellas and cod. You can camp on the edge of the dam.

Archived