Flares - do I need them for Green Island?

Old Scaley

Hi All

Flares are out of date and I don't want to buy new ones just yet as I am going to Canada in a couple of weeks, but I really want to get out into the bay this weekend to take advantage of the (forecast) good weather. I have been trying to work out where I need flares and where I don't. Previous posts have talked about people being checked at Mud, so maybe I should stay a bit closer in, maybe Green? The maps on the MSQ site don't really help. Can you?

Thanks rob - i figured that but it is a bit hard to follow. Looking at the maps I hav e been a bit non-compliant for a while as I have been out around the mouth and up to scarborough reef since they expired. Might have to borrow a set for the weekend. Cheers mate and good luck out wide over the week-end. I am out with Palermo next Friday and really looking forward to that!

Or I could just go to Peel or further south in the Bay. If you check out the maps, that is considered smooth water, where the reclaimed land or anything north of that is not?? I reckon I would rather head back up the river from the mouth in a 20 knot northerly than come back from Peel. Pin was another option, but I heard that Cabbage Tree Point ramp is closed so any of the other ramps are bound to be jam packed over the week-end.

noname wrote:

anything out of date is a fine, wheather it's required or not, especially flares because they come under some sort of explosives act and can become unstable, might throw mine over the fence :P

yeah the pricks would love that!!!!

a mate said the other day that theyve changed it to alowed to have out of date flares al long as youve got new ones as well.....

Old Scaley wrote:

Or I could just go to Peel or further south in the Bay. If you check out the maps, that is considered smooth water, where the reclaimed land or anything north of that is not?? I reckon I would rather head back up the river from the mouth in a 20 knot northerly than come back from Peel. Pin was another option, but I heard that Cabbage Tree Point ramp is closed so any of the other ramps are bound to be jam packed over the week-end.

Yeah the ramp at the yacht club is ripped out but the one up towards the mouth near baxters jetty is still there, i used it 2 weeks ago

Travis wrote:

Old Scaley wrote:

Yeah the ramp at the yacht club is ripped out but the one up towards the mouth near baxters jetty is still there, i used it 2 weeks ago

mmmn! so many options, so little time :unsure:

Old Scaley wrote:

Travis wrote:
Old Scaley wrote:

mmmn! so many options, so little timehttp://www.australianfishing.com.au/components/com_kunena/template/default_ex/images/english/emoticons/unsure.png

theres also nudgee

Smooth waters are anywhere south of a line from Cleveland Point to Amity on Straddie and also up to 1/2 a nautical mile (900 metres) from any of the mainland shore.

The wives tale about being booked for out of date flares is nothing more than that. Here is the news straight from MSQ's mouth -
/>http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/podcasts/msq.wma

just got the goss

under the msq laws, it's ok to have expired flares, PROVIDING you can produce the in date flares at the request of a msq, or cop.

now under the explosives act it is illegal to have out of date flares full stop.

water police have never given a ticket for out of date flares, they even carry older packs on their personal boats. as stated you can also provide the in date flares.

well there ya go ay, ol dog new tricks!

this from a person who issues the tickets! 5 mins ago.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Got the flares, went to Green Island. Should have bought dynamite instead - nothing but pike, baby bream and tiny pinkeys all day. Still it was a beautiful day to be out on the water. Before anyone really gets the sh*ts, I am only kidding about the dynamite.

Archived