green zones

talking at a bbq with some mates yesterday and the topic got to fishing and one guy mentioned the new 'fishing zones and rules came into effect today (saturday) :blink: that seemed like news to me so i thought i'd post it to see if anyone new more. :blush:

ok so i went on a hunt to find out what's what. found a good bit of info on the dpi site for new bag limits and sizes. then i stumbled all over the place looking for a decent map of the green/restricted zones. found a map which has all kinds of info on it..sandy bottom..mud..reef areas along with the restrictions for each area. hadn't seen this one before but for thise who like studying the habitat they fish in this might be handy. i'm still not certain if the map below is the 'end product' of the EPA but it looks pretty comprehensive..so i thought what the hell..there's some good info there

/>http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/RecFishing-SizeAndTake-combined.pdf.

good to see bag limits for jacks and a reduction from 10 to 5 threadfin salmon.

/>http://www.vision6.com.au/download/files/08120/416633/Appendix+4+-+stakeholder+maps.pdf

:)

Dan80 wrote:

a book of maps i got from the dpi say 1/3/09

Dan80..i think they (at the bbq) must have meant that the amnesty is over and they will fine yer now ? i just posted some stuff i found that looks interesting but still can't find anything on implementing new 'zones' so i agree with you..cheers mate :)

Most of the new rules came in on 1/3 there are a few later changes.

The one that just changed on the first of this month are the shark rules, yet to come are the change on legal size for bream, and the banning of dillies. Both happen next year, but cant remember when.

Does anyone know when GPS software showing these new zones will become available? I mean when you are on the water its pretty hard keeping track of some imaginary boundary that some bored government idiot has drawn on a map.

Its available now, has been for a while. Just depends on when your manufacturer is going to make it available for your particular unit (if at all, good encouragement for you to buy as new one!, Garmin are not making them available for my map276 unfortunately.).

I've had the google earth overlays for a few months, but that was courtesy of some bloke who made them up, they were not official releases.

What I find amusing is the dpi released a very detailed book of the zones :) nice aerial maps but about as useful as tits on a bull to those who don't have a gps and no more help to those who do :angry: the money spent on these glossy guides would of been better spent on map over downloads for the most common chart plotters ie: c maps etc :blink:

Gaz

Dom, not sure what cards are in it, the maps I have came on CD, and just install on to the GPS from the computer. (the Blue Pafic series, which are crap)

Here is an attempt at uploading the google earth overlays, dunno if it will work just replace the .txt with .kml and see if it works. (should do, it is really only a text file with a different extension)

[file name=Moreton_Bay_marine_park_final.txt size=98821]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/Moreton_Bay_marine_park_final.txt[/file]

Moreton_Bay_marine_park_final.txt

Thanks Feral. Worked out that the 178C uses blue chart cards. Basically way overpriced proprietary Garmin SD cards.

Also not sure if I can use that definition file as I have no way of hooking up my unit directly to the PC. Does your GPS have a USB in connector or something? I can get a USB card reader but not sure if that helps me unless I buy a blank garmin memory card (they are available) and create my own data card.

Archived