non fishing gear you take for fishing?

Oztrav

So what kind of gear do you guys take that is non fishing for fishing? ie- torches, gameboys, lunch box carton of golds lord of the rings trilogy....

trying to compile a list of things i need cause you always end up in some scenario where you go damn i wish i had one of those

Gee, dunno...I'm pretty much of the view that if you think about it long enough, almost everything has a fishing-related purpose.

Let's see...Lord of the Rings trilogy - if on DVD could arguably be used as either a reflector for an ordinary torch to light the entire fishing area or possibly (if broken into small pieces and attached to trace above hook) a bizarre form of lure (perhaps empty cans from the carton of golds could be used the same way on larger fish, probably a good argument against taking stubbies!).

Book/magazine has obvious uses for (a) cleaning hands after cleaning/filleting fish, and (B) for starting campfire to cook same.

The torch itself is pretty damn useful piece of essential fishing equipment for attracting squid!

A good folding chair (or \"portable self-gimballed rod-holding attachment\") is pretty much self-explanatory, although if you've already got the \"carton of golds\" fishing lures along, taking lunch may be looking a bit suss unless it's squid sandwiches or something else readily convertible to bait.

From a boating perspective the possibilities are also endless - for example using the anchor as a major FAD for burleying (except possibly in SA where they get the really, really big Great Whites), or on really hot, dry days using the bimini top to string fish up and start the curing/drying process:sick: . If you run the engine long enough, it's also possible to use the top to actually cook your catch.

Post edited by: Cliffy, at: 2007/03/03 23:31

Oztrav wrote:

So what kind of gear do you guys take that is non fishing for fishing? ie- torches, gameboys, lunch box carton of golds lord of the rings trilogy....

trying to compile a list of things i need cause you always end up in some scenario where you go damn i wish i had one of those

Karma to you Oz for stimulating activity on the site. But can you top my fishing test?

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/03/04 20:04

Brian D wrote:

Food - Space food sticks, coffee in winter and red or green cordial in summer.:)

Cutting / Weapon - A bloody big knife.;)

Camera and spare batteries:ohmy:

Toilet Paper :blush:

Forgot - I allways take my booties - either version - the zip up boot style or slip on's - but they both stop oyster cuts, bull routs, muddy guew, and broken things.

A must for all fisher persons. (Wife calls hers \"Squishie Boots\")

• 3 weeks later...

Archived