Great Night - Threaddies, Jew and Squire!

Angus

nadders wrote:

yeap, for me with threadies the way i see it is there are alot of guys out there doing the wrong thing that i've witnessed, bagging out on 1m+ fish etc, and big big fish are rare and very important to the breeding stock so they cant realy survive getting bagged out on.

i've kept a few in the past, after trying to release them but looking back i could have handled the fish much better than i did, i did not have nearly the knowledge on safe handling and release practices that i do now.

knowing that there are guys who will go and intentionally bag out on big fish i am pretty worried too, really hope they dont get wiped out or reduced significantly as they are magnificent inhabitants of our river

Good points Nadders and Brisbane_Boy. Nadders I dont think can blame yourself for mishandling in the past. Its live and learn. If you learnt stuff and then continued to do a bad job, that would be different.

I think one of the good things about this forum is that the majority of the members are very open minded to conservation. However, like fishing skills and techniques in general, people just cant be expected to know stuff they have never had the opportunity to learn or pick up.

With that in mind, it would be interesting if a few of the veteran threaddy cacthers would put their thoughts down (in a seperate thread so it gets noticed) as to effective release etc. With enough info it might be possible to knock together a front page article with a forum link. Even if only a few people read it and learnt something useful from it could save a few large breeding fish in the future...

Angus

I'm a pretty fervent believer in this topic, only take home what you can eat! If you are at the stage where you are giving the fish away to others because you can't fit any more into the freezer, then maybe let some of them go to start with! I reckon it's a pretty good feeling when you release, it sure adds a extra bit of boost to your night.

Threadies are a magnificent fish, there aren't too many other fish that are so pleasing to the eye. I for one wouldn't complain if there were reduced bag-limits and/or maximum size keepable!!!!!!!! (I can get political Gus, I am not a mod or admin Ha ha ha!!!!!)

Massively fun night with the greatest company! Thanks guys for your mad netting and rock clambering skills. I agree with all that's been said about the threadie..we're so lucky to have such a gorgeous and hard-fighting fish in the river, would like to keep the populations up and healthy.

tobie10 wrote:

Massively fun night with the greatest company! Thanks guys for your mad netting and rock clambering skills. I agree with all that's been said about the threadie..we're so lucky to have such a gorgeous and hard-fighting fish in the river, would like to keep the populations up and healthy.

All we need now are some upgrades :)

Had my threadfin for dinner fish and chips style tonight.

It was good, but not amazing. Its no snapper. I will be 100% C&R from now on unless I 100% cannot release it alive. If its me or the crabs ill take it :P

Angus

nadders wrote:

something that puzzles me and i'm sure steve (elops) can shed some light,

i've read here and there about the good old days of the 70's and 60's, about abundant trevally and all sorts busting up under the city bridges etc. these days a good school of trevs busting up under the cpt cook would have to be seen to be believed, wouldn't the improved water quality bring more trevs in between then and now?

or were these reports perhaps from pre-dredging days?

I think the trevally stories are just stories mate I have caught the odd big eye up to breaky creek but thats it. As for surface bust ups most likely tarpon there are a lot more tarpon in the river than people realise,though I have seen large numbers of jew smashing mullet quite a spectacular sight and a sound you will never forget. As for water quality the river is definately cleaner now than the 70s, the sights and smells you encountered back then would have people screaming for the EPA nowadays(not that this ever has much effect) IMHO we are now experiencing the best fishing in the river for maybe a century lets hope it can be managed properly.

Regs Steve.

Never saw any trevors in the upper but can remember fishing around North Quay as a kid and the water was chocolate brown with gravel dredging well under way at that time.

I forget the exact story now but there were rocks (18 mile?) restricted the downstream flow till they were blown up? allowing the tidal influence further up stream and reducing salinity downstream.

Archived