Missed hook ups

mullies_chaser

G'day all. Have been hitting the sharks recently with no success. I've caught bronzies back in Adelaide but I would love to land a big bad bullie. I'm fishing in the noosa river doing all nighters for them. Using 12/0 mega baits with half a mac tuna, tailor, mullet anything i can get my hands on (only small about 0.5kg - 1.0kg). Using 90lb. nylon coated multi strand wire. Same old stuff we used for the bronzies. I have landed some big eels 2m but everytime i get a run from a shark (I think they might be sharks, absoloutley scream off) i set my tyronos 30 to strike and strike hard on them. they take a very solid first run but about 10 seconds into the fight the hook pulls. Has happened 4 times now. Any suggestions?

Cheers

give them around 15 seconds of them running to make sure they really have the bait down there gob then set the hooks are and get stuck into them. if they drop the bait leave it out there for another 15-20 mins and see if it comes back ;) if not wind it in and inspect whats left.

it takes extreme willpower, but you just gotta wait for the toothie to get the food down its gob. I wait for what seems like an eternity and engage the drag, with minimal strike and the hook usually sets just inside the jaw. Only 1 in 4 baits get dropped using this method. And I always have a hook set at both ends of the bait, whether it be a livie or a strip bait.

And the baits and hooks don't need to be big either. A lot of the bullies I pull out of the river have bream hooks in their mouths. From my experience the action dies off 3hours after sunset, so I head home to a comfy bed by 11pm.

Hope this helps.

tomca wrote:

From my experience the action dies off 3hours after sunset, so I head home to a comfy bed by 11pm.

Hope this helps.

Nothing like getting woke up at 1:30 or 2am in the morning by a screaming rod :laugh:

Or sitting up all night and waiting until 4am for a run :dry:

Or not getting a run. :angry:

Mate, take a photo of a typical bait you're rigging. There could be some small things you could do to *possibly* help improve your chances.

Sometimes (with the run and when to set the hooks) its just experience and hard to explain what to do.

Regards

Thanks guys, heading out tonight again. Have been giving them some time to get it down but probably not 15 seconds. Hopefully if the odd chance comes that I do get a run I'll test my will power and let them get it right down. Mates back in Adelaide that have pulled a few big sharks use to actually count to 20 aloud. I'll take a few pics of the bait and such tonight and hopefully a shark. Thanks heaps all for your help!

P.S. Just another quick question. Have been fishing unweighted, but when fishing for bronzies it was usually a must to have a balloon tied on. With bullies what is a personal preference? Bottom, Unweighted, Balloon etc.? Thanks.

Gday mate,

Might sound stupid or obvious or whatever, but i have learnt that the hooks must thoroughly penetrate both sides of the bait (ie the barb of the hook must not be covered by ur bait at all). And yeah, letting them run for what seems like an eternity is a must.

Good luck!

Cheers

Woody

Archived