Sooties at Tully.

ryanyoung

G'day all,

After finding out work was sending me up to Tully, I started hoping for some time to fish in between work.

All up I got out twice in the fresh around Tully (Jarra Creek), and also down to Mission Beach for a couple of salt sessions on the Hull River.

In the two quick sessions at Tully, I picked up five sooties, whilst in the salt I only managed a moses perch of smallish size. This was a bit of a downer, as I had visions of catching barra and jacks, the river looked that fishy! Not to be though :( !

The sooties up at Tully were caught on hb's and they were hitting everything in sight! The creek is quite low by Tully standards, and it was an easy knee deep in between deeper holes. The blokes I was fishing with managed close to twenty each over the two days. It was my first ever exposure to a baitcaster, I now know the meaning of birds-nest! I finally got the hang of it though, not a bad bit of kit.

Anyway, sorry about the short and disjointed report, it is bed-time!

Cheers,

Ryan.

DSCF0476_AFO.jpg

The previous photo is the first sootie I caught, the other four where larger and smaller. Didn't manage to get any jp's either, but one of the other blokes did, pretty good fighters I reckon.

DSCF0481_AFO.jpg

This is the Hull River down at Mission Beach, went along with a mate from work in his tinnie, only just managed to ward off a donut by catching the undersized moses perch! Jay pulled up a stingray, it had fantastic patterns on it, and was a nice colour too, definately a better specimen than our grotty ones down here! I think the one in the pic was a spotted grunter? Can't really remember!

Johnny wrote:

ryanyoung wrote:
DSCF0476_AFO.jpg

love your kit!!! if the DPI&F need help we can start a AFO vigilante group B)

Ha ha, yeah, lucky I took two pairs of boots with me and plenty of spare cams! It was great fun, there are so many sooties up there, might try to plan a trip up that way in the new year!

grunter bream or javelin fishryanyoung wrote:

The previous photo is the first sootie I caught, the other four where larger and smaller. Didn't manage to get any jp's either, but one of the other blokes did, pretty good fighters I reckon.

DSCF0481_AFO.jpg

This is the Hull River down at Mission Beach, went along with a mate from work in his tinnie, only just managed to ward off a donut by catching the undersized moses perch! Jay pulled up a stingray, it had fantastic patterns on it, and was a nice colour too, definately a better specimen than our grotty ones down here! I think the one in the pic was a spotted grunter? Can't really remember!

Angus wrote:

Awesome Ryan. Nice work on the Sooties. 5 is a lot more than a ot of us down here have caught. Not to mention it was your first time with a baitcaster!!

Welcome back as well mate. We should get out for a fish soon.

Angus

Yeah mate, definately going for a fish soon. The two fellas' I went fishing with have a friendly rivalry going this year, their tally is 196 to 183 or something like that! They catch and release all their fish. It is a sootie mecca up there!

tobie10 wrote:

AFO militia shirt with real army pants! Is that going to be part of the official AFO gear? :) Nice work on the sooties!

Cheers Juls,

As for the army pants, they are generally a bit hot to go galivanting around the country-side! Lucky the creek kept me cool! Will have to catch up for a fish soon!

tugger wrote:

well done on the sooties ryan if you want some salt water fish up that way and your land based try marilian harbour i hope i spelt that right but its close to where you were and the public wharf fishes real well for jacks and fingermark bream

mark

Cheers Mark,

I have done a bit of work up that way before, through that harbour and river system. From memory it does look pretty fishy!

Archived