Fisheries been busy

Feral

This probably a good time to remind people that Lake Samsonvale (NPD) is now part of the Stocked Impoundment Scheme and as such requires a Stocked Impoundment Permit to legally fish it.

The signs have been in place at public access points for a number of months now and fisheries have begun enforcing the rule.

It was good to see fisheries focus on fresh water areas this year, particularly through the closed Bass breeding season. Unfortunately it doesn't stop people trying to rape the fishery, we found 40 Bass frames near a spawning ground this year and have had reports of illegal netting and even some brain dead idiots targeting lung fish to boot.

That said, with the limited resources available the folks at fisheries managed a great deal of wallet based education and good on them too, as it seems this is the only way some of these people learn.

Good to see . Would like to see a bigger enforcement presence and then people would start to do the right thing.

It also amazes me that some people expect to get off with a " friendly" warning for water based offences but are quite prepared to cop it on the nose for land based offences.

Cheers

Ray

shayned wrote:

This probably a good time to remind people that Lake Samsonvale (NPD) is now part of the Stocked Impoundment Scheme and as such requires a Stocked Impoundment Permit to legally fish it.

The signs have been in place at public access points for a number of months now and fisheries have begun enforcing the rule.

It was good to see fisheries focus on fresh water areas this year, particularly through the closed Bass breeding season. Unfortunately it doesn't stop people trying to rape the fishery, we found 40 Bass frames near a spawning ground this year and have had reports of illegal netting and even some brain dead idiots targeting lung fish to boot.

That said, with the limited resources available the folks at fisheries managed a great deal of wallet based education and good on them too, as it seems this is the only way some of these people learn.

Reports of netting? I have collected 4 nets so far from one particular spot. Which by the way featured in several posts on this forum during closed season. Also at the same spot informed some 50 odd people it was closed season. on one afternoon there were 4 paddle craft equipped with eskys on the water. talking to them resulting in 4 bass being released and I could go on and on about similar incidents. I have made that many calls to the patrol this year it had to have had some effect you would think. I think the most calls in one day was 5. This goes on in every river and stream in SEQ

If you see illegal fishing report it FISHWATCH 1800017116

Regs Steve

Mr FeLiX wrote:

It's good to see the fisheries out in force. Wheneva I go out there's generally always one bloke/lady that doesn't like it when I catch em bagging a 15cm bream or 30cm flathead.. I'm very vocal on the subject

Matey I`d be very carefull with telling people what they can and can`t take unless your right with your own facts...

a broken nose can also result from lacking people skills in these situations/confrontations :(

dusky flathead are minimum 40cm.Other flathead are minimum 30cm eg: sand/tiger/bar tailed

small spotted grunter(silver javelin-fish 30 cm,and spotted grunter (barred javelin- fish)40 cm are another fish that can sometime be confused

cheers Gad

Archived