Watch what you say online...

Angus

Interesting stuff I thought id share.

A lot of new precedent ha been set lately (largely due to bullying at schools) at what can be done against "Online Antogonists".

Numerous people have been recently charged and some have even recieved jail time for online slander, defamation and stalking!

Simialar cases exist where online businesses have sought compensation from online antogonists. The logic applied has been simply that just like a shop would loose money if someone smashed the front window, so does an internet business loose out to online touble makers.

I thought some may find this interesting as it seems the days of "keyboard jack russels" could be coming to a close.

Anyway, watch what you say online.

Angus

Angus

I had a close call with some online slander....

I am into motorcycle's and there is a forum set up similair to AFO...

I read a post of a motorcycle copper that was giving motorcyclists a very hard time and found out that it was the same copper that had pulled me over a few times. Nothing against coppers doing their job but it's just this guys mannerisms and he comes across extremely rude, the general consensus amongst the motorcycle community is that if he doesn't get you for speeding then he will defect your bike or something else.

I made the mistake of going to far and calling him a C word, I wrote C#....*t to be exact and the story was fairly harsh……….

I was sitting at work when the phone went and it was the policeman in question!! It turns out that they monitor the forum!!! After a hell a lot of to'ing and fro'ing I agreed to post an apology to the Queensland Police and retract my comments.

However, what really bothered me was that this policeman tracked me down? How did he do it? My personal details were not on the website?

I was advised by a lawyer friend of mine to report the incident to the Crime and Misconduct Commission which I did, but stopped short of taking it further to avoid the pain and hassle.

Needless to say, be very careful with what you post online.

This is a fishing forum, lets talk about fishing and leave the heated arguments and ego in the garbage.

There is way to much bullshit in life to bring it to the thing that we all enjoy so much.

Batty

Guys and girls,

I will show you how easily things said online can get out of control pretty quickly and you can end up in a world of hurt.

I was asked recently about what constituted stalking and in particular online activities which are unwelcome and unwarrnted.

Here is some stuff I have copied and used before.

359E Punishment of unlawful stalking

(1) A person who unlawfully stalks another person is guilty of a crime.

(2) A person who commits the crime of unlawful stalking is liable

to a maximum penalty of imprisonment for 5 years.

Section 359B contains the definition of unlawful stalking and reprinted below is the section in part with highlighted referencing made to your alleged activity.

359B What is unlawful stalking

Unlawful stalking is conduct—

(a) intentionally directed at a person (the stalked person);

and

(B) engaged in on any 1 occasion if the conduct is protracted or on more than 1 occasion;

and

© consisting of 1 or more acts of the following, or a similar, type—

(i) following, loitering near, watching or approaching a person;

(ii) contacting a person in any way, including, for example, by telephone, mail, fax, email or through the use of any technology;

(iii) loitering near, watching, approaching or entering a place where a person lives, works or visits;

(iv) leaving offensive material where it will be found by, given to or brought to the attention of, a person;

(v) giving offensive material to a person, directly or indirectly;

(vi) an intimidating, harassing or threatening act against a person, whether or not involving violence or a threat of violence;

(vii) an act of violence, or a threat of violence, against, or against property of, anyone, including the defendant; and

(d) that—

(i) would cause the stalked person apprehension or fear, reasonably arising in all the circumstances, of violence to, or against property of, the stalked person or another person; or

(ii) causes detriment, reasonably arising in all the circumstances, to the stalked person or another person.

So pretty much if you continue to harrass someone, or harrass someone to an extent that causes them detriment and feeling that they are not free to go about their normal daily activities, then you can be found guilty of stalking.

One of the good and bad things about computers and online stuff is that you always have a 'paper' trail. Even if you delete stuff and wipe your hard drive, people with the proper training can lift kernels of data and piece together evidence. Also can't assume you're anonymous online - harder to lift from forums unless you have admin access, but yeah, if you go online people with the know how can get personal information from you. So I think the rule of thumb is, if you're going to have a shouting match with someone, do it at the pub so nobody has hard evidence of who said what...but be careful of mobile phones and youtube!

Sorry about your family member brisbane_boy...it really sucks being a girl sometimes. It's good to learn how to break knees...or judo. A girl my size threw a rather large bloke who was trying to mug her, so yeah, she's not afraid of much. You guys don't have too many guns floating around either, so that helps.

Not smart to carry anything that even resembles a knife. If she ever has to use it I would assume with the way the system seems to work she would be charged with somthing serious because she carried it with intent to use it. I'm sure someone else knows the legals of it.

And as for Internet bullying some people need to harden up and with the kids itonly prepares them for life cause we all know it's not all peaches and cream when you leave school.

rastus wrote:

Not smart to carry anything that even resembles a knife. If she ever has to use it I would assume with the way the system seems to work she would be charged with somthing serious because she carried it with intent to use it. I'm sure someone else knows the legals of it.

That`s about the gist of it.

you can be charged with a weapons offence just by having a weapon in your possession,,eg went armed;without lawful occaision;to cause fear;etc.

Basicly comes down to 2 wrongs don`t make a right,and you are solely responsible for your actions.

cheers Gad

Archived