shultz canal part 7!!!!

Jordan

decided not to hide my alarm clock this time, instead tried the trick of drinking 8 glasses of water before bed. it got me up alright, but unfortunatley alot earlier than i wanted ( 11 pm :( ) to much water.

anyway managed to get away from home at about 5 am, got there at 5.15. managed to avoid any strays or angry pedestrians on the way which was a good start.

went down to my arnhem land for some cod. few casts in and i was on, unfortunatley left the backspin on from cleaning the expensive $20 reel of mine from the night before and found myself generously giving the fish more line than it could swim off with. after fixing the problem and a short fight reeled it in to find a 30cm cod. that was a good start, unfortunatley it diddnt get any better than that for about another hour. thats when i went to a different spot and tried cracking open a new scorpian.

threw it out and 2 casts later hooked onto a 20cm bream. that was encouraging. few casts later and hooked on to another noah, felt exactly like the two fish i had got the day before, and i got the same result, the lure was thrown at me. i was actually glad, as it was heading for a pylon, even though it was a good 30m's away, it was getting there in no time at all. left some impressive teeth marks on the head of my new scorpian. ( haha on the head, must of been a female fish, yep they can bite sometimes hehe....tough crowd..)

again, it went quiet after that for some time, so decided to have a go up near the nudgee road bridge where i hooked onto an impressively large sized tree stump that i had to swim for. so took my gear off to the absoloute delight of a passing bus full of all hallows girls :blush: to make things worse, the traffic was stoped so they got a real good look. o diddnt i look like the man of their dreams, swimming in some bogan creek in my boxers haha o well. hopefully i diddnt know any of them.

anyway, with that aside, it again went boring. was half assed flicking lures again, when i suddenly scared a large prawn to the surface with the lure, so i grabbed it and put a jig head on my line with it on. that was the best choice i made all day. not 30 seconds after i threw the prawn out, i saw an o so beutiful site, even more beutiful than the all hallows girls. the slack i had lying on the water begain to gain tension to my absolout delight. waited, waited, then struck, and did this fish go like hell. after manouvering around some snags and obstacles, i finally brought the fish to the surface. a beutiful 39 cm mangorve jack :laugh: far out was i a happy fisho.

knowing that it ate the prawn off the bottom i decided to put a plastic on. and after a few tails beeing bitten off (toadfish probably) i hooked a snag, and while tryin to walk along some rocks to unsnag it, one of them gave way and i fell heavily onto some barnacles turning many of my limbs into mince meat. that was enough for me, id had it, so i packed it up and left.

apart from that the day was pretty good, not many fish but still entertaining none the less. videod a redbellie black snake crossing the river which was pretty cool as well.

does anyone know if those prawn lookin things would respond to a piece of meat in a small bait trap? im thinkin i mite target these little critters and throw them out unweighted and see if the second jack was just luck, or if they really respond well to the liveies.

Archived