rayke1938

Hit NPD today for the first time for nearly a month. Arrived at the gate 1 minute befor opening time after observing the 50KPH speed limit and looking out for dog walking pedestrians. ( PRFMA joke)

Had Graham Pflaum with me as a deckie.

Launched under perfect conditions.

PC070120AFO.jpg

Trolled an assortment of lures and all I managed was one medium yella.

PC070119AFO-1.jpg

I had left all my redclaw pots in but open so I have rebaited them with some barra fillets from last year that I found in the bottom of the freezer.

Wind started to get up around 9ish so we trolled our way back to ramp and knocked off at 11.

Fish very scarce on the sounder and when we spotted a few and by the time we turned around they had moved on.

Looks like it may be time to adjorn to our summer spots of Baroon Pocket and Hinze.

Cheers

Ray

Nice Yella Ray :)

Just a small word of warning though, you aren't legally allowed to use the Barra fillets as bait as they are outside it's natural range. However, the reasoning behind this is to prevent the fish from becoming established in a new area, so the risk would be fairly low I would think ;) haha. But if you got a fisheries guy on a bad day, he might try to book you.

From the DPI site

The use of fish and crustaceans such as spangled perch, redclaw crayfish, shrimp and yabbies as bait (dead or alive) is prohibited outside their natural environment or range.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3028.htm

Rumrunner pearl white.

Cowfish. I know its not kosher but in my opinion still better than using imported pilchards or fish frames from local fish shop.They are over 12 months old and have been frozen for all that time so risk of disease would be mininal. I normally use cat food but suppose that would not be legal either even though the rangers sell it for redclaw bait at Wivenhoe.

You could also argue that they are in their natual range after all the reported captures in local waters.

Cheers

Ray

The DPI define "natural areas" in to 5 main areas of Queensland, the range we are in is the east coast drainage division. Thats why we are allowed to stock North Pine with Yella's. They dont allow stocking of Barra this far south as they dont believe they will survive, but we are still part of what they consider their natural range, so use of them as bait is legal.

/>http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/images/1890.gif

Archived