Albert River Tagged Bass

Cowfish13

Hey guys, Jack and I went for a kayak upstream of the Stanmore Weir and we did pretty well. We got about 24 Bass all up, with 17 of those taken off the surface on Sammy's and NW Pencil's. We got two Bass over 40cm with the biggest going 44cm :)

However, what was interesting was that we both caught a tagged Bass each. Rang the guys up and here are a few details from them

Mine

Originally Tagged: 30 December, 2007

Size: 27cm

Location: Christmas Ck (Tributary to Logan River, between Lamington, Rathdowney and Kooralbyn)

New Date: 14 December, 2009

Size: 32cm

Jack's

Originally Tagged: 16 December, 2006

Size: 34cm

Size: 36cm

Pretty interesting I thought. Very different growth rates: 2cm in three years, opposed to 5cm in two years and the both had moved downstream.

We can chuck up some pics of the bigger fish later :)

well done boys!

did ya end up getting moast of them up closer towards the luscombe bridge?

or were they all over the place?

last time we went they were all up in the pools closer to the bridge!

those stats are interesting and im still glad i dont take any home after seeing how slow they can grow!

cheers Ian

cowfish wrote :

Mine

Originally Tagged: 30 December, 2007

Size: 27cm

Size: 32cm

that's kewl hey

that means the some of the ones stocked at darlington park would head down stream too .

must be instinct hey.

Dinodadog wrote:

well done fellas on the bass, I managed a tagged one yesterday funny if it was one of mine

My dad caught one 3 days ago that was tagged aswell. It was 41cm, it was tagged at 38cm in Feb 2008. The guy on the phone said that he will send out an information pack regarding that fish so it will be an interesting read. He said we can see where it was tagged then pinpoint on a map where we caught it.

Yep, according to the certificate which I recieved today, it has moved a total of 160km, down through the fresh, into the full salt of the Logan, across to the Albert's mouth and then back up until being stopped by the weir. Pretty long trip for a little fish and to not be eaten by Sharks and other predators during that time is a decent effort for a little 'freshwater' fish :cheer:

Jack's had moved 65km downstream in the Albert. Must've been caught a long way up...

Cowfish13 wrote:

Yep, according to the certificate which I recieved today, it has moved a total of 160km, down through the fresh, into the full salt of the Logan, across to the Albert's mouth and then back up until being stopped by the weir. Pretty long trip for a little fish and to not be eaten by Sharks and other predators during that time is a decent effort for a little 'freshwater' fish :cheer:

Jack's had moved 65km downstream in the Albert. Must've been caught a long way up...

Excellent information, quite a fair distance travelled in anyones books. Ours was a tagged 50km upstream, and judging by the water depth in some parts of the river i'd say it would've travelled down during a flood when the river had risen after some heavy storms

Here's a map showing where Christmas Ck is http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=-28.172863,152.983918&geocode=&hl=en&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=14&sll=-28.168043,152.981873&sspn=0.034579,0.055189&ie=UTF8&ll=-28.162216,152.933807&spn=0.276649,0.441513&t=h&z=11

You can zoom out so you can see its journey :)

Edit: Try cutting and pasting the link. Doesn't work for me if I click it, but if you put it into the explorer bar, it works :)

Archived