Lucky Bastard at Peel Island

Brian D

When everything else fails go back to basics. So after the first plan of taking the Cheif and Sargent of Arms (wife and youngest daughter) to Noosa for the weekend feel threw, the fall back plan didn't require much thought or planning. Peel island it is - tough to take but ok someone has to do it.

First step - launch the boat at Redland bay about 4.00am, tie up at the jetty and throw the cast net for some lives. In four casts I got some shark size mullet, a nice jew size banana prawn, some herring and heaps of baby bream.

Headed for the Bluff on north eastern tip of Peel and bugger me there were at least 6 boats already there or still there from the night before. So I kept on going up to Amity Point to try for a shark or taylor. Caught nothing but there were a million bigger boats heading out the south passage.

Went for a cruise right on sun up through the Dialba passage down to north western side of Peel where I anchored up. Set a burley trail with old squid and pillys and before long started pulling in squire and bream on whole baby squid. Floated down the trail.There was plenty of surface action so I started throwing lures at the same time. Started pulling in pike after pike on 3\" white slider plastics until I ran out of tails. They wouldn't take anything else, only white as they were chasing the white bait. (dur). Everytime the surface would erupt with bait I''d throw the plastic and almost instant hook up. Great fun. At one stage I had 2 bait lines and the sp all going and I landed all 3 thankyou very much.

After that I thought of going deep again looking for a day time Jew or Shark but the wind picked up and blew that idea away, so I went home via the car wash for the baot.

I phoned wifie from the car wash about lunch, thinking McDonalds and she had prepared me a kg of spicy chicken wings. How kool! I am a lucky bastard arn't I

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/02 08:58

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/02 09:00

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/02 09:03

Yeah Troy they are aggressive, I lost heaps of jigs heads and 2 packets of tails. I found that they would swallow the trace and all. Granted that I was only using about 6\" of 25lb flurocarbon but most bust offs came from above the trace on 6lb fireline. They just kept on chewing up the line. They were leaping and carring on like undersize marlin (dreaming).

Angus - no size to the squire but the bream were legal, however I didn't keep any except 3 pike that wouldn't give me my jig back so they are now known as shark bait in the freezer.

• 2 months later...

Archived