Sommerset Dam - Where to fish? What to fish?

51MPL

Went here couple weeks ago with my girlfriends family and they took their boat along, we trolled some hb around timber and through some holes with no luck so what other ares should we target?

The questions:

What kind of fish are in there? (Species) - bass?

What lures to hit them with? or bait? (Threw softies around last week for little nibbles but no hookup) ; Other report i read someone had success on vibes? how should i work them for freshwater species? Bounce along the bottom like i do for flatties? or troll them / slow roll?

Theres a lot of traffic on the water and i think we are going again on sunday so obviously somewhere away from the skiers but what other strucutre holds teh fish in there? Rocky points/bars, some old timber.. ?? Anyone keen to highlight some likely areas on google map or something?

Hmm hope that all made sense :S haha i'll edit 2moro morning before i head to work after i re-read ;)

Somerset is stocked with

Silver Perch

Yellow Belly

Bass

Saratoga

Mary Cod

It is also stocked with Lungfish, obviously a no take species

It has a good population of redclaw

It has a large population of Tandanus which breed in there well.

It has a large population of Tilapia, a pest species that if you catch you can not return to the water, nor can you take them home to eat (Toss them in the bin or on the bank).

Bass have been weird this year, not behaving normally, they are still schooled up in open water. Normally you would find them in ones or twos around structure and in schools off points in 20 to 25 foot of water at this time of year.

Yella's could be running upstream depending on the inflow from recent rain, otherwise rocky banks and structure

Silvers and tandanus, 3 to 4 foot of water near stumps old fence posts, weed edges. Use worms.

Cod further up in the sunken trees.

Toga, in the shallows at the top of bays etc. Around structure.

thanks for the info mate! hopefully i can put it to good use this weekend. About the tilapia though, i've caught them before and dont think your allowed to throw them on the bank because supposedly if tehy have eggs in their system they last for a few days and so even if you throw them on the bank, they still get the eggs out somehow ;S

oh ps - what are some good multi-purpose lures i can use to target a few of those species?

and red claw when we tried last week was extreme fail.. had about 4/5 traps out and only caught 3/4.. all the bait was gone out of the traps and they werent exactly where we left them

Archived