Newbie need experienced help in Bay

daveylad

Hi everyone I am new to the site and am keen to start contributing, I have recently retired and have bought my first boat, its a 4.85 Stessco "Amberjack" I have bought all the gear to go with it, Hummingbird 788ci chartplotter sounder combo, Epirb, and several rods and reels for rivers and bays, Being new to the game I lack experience and knowledge or boating with some on fishing although not much can tie and bait okay, I have done some boating on the NOosa river and Maroochydore river but would love to enter out into Morton Bay, if there is anyone on this site that could help and spend some time to show me the ropes Bribie Island Morton Bay areas....when the weather picks up! I would love to hear from you if you could help

Hope this is not too forward but I think I need someone with boating experience of the areas ;)

Dave you sound like you have a good attitude and with that you should have no probs getting deckie spots and later offering a spot on your own vessel from time to time.

I'm a yakker but have benefited from the kindness of stink-boaters on site to experience the Bay and further off-shore. There are little requirements of a deckie apart from a willingness to have fun, chip in for fuel, bait, food etc. and obviously don't show up the skipper too often.

You really should get involved in the Moreton Bay Classic as a deckie or even as a skipper for some of more experienced non-boaties around, maybe just team up with another boatie and shadow them around the bay. Someone is sure to help out.

Oh and welcome to the site.

tag along tours with the right people too are a great way to get your confidence up and also get more familiar with the area's you mention!

some of us are heading to straddie next weekend, if your keen and have a leave pass, or even bring your partner! up to you...

robbo

Still up in the air on what I'm doing that weekend mate just depends on the trouble and striff,but won't get there until the saturday morning will have to work friday night until about 12 so If I come I will catch the first barge over saturday.Unless I get a run over with daveylad

cheers dassa

dassa wrote:

Still up in the air on what I'm doing that weekend mate just depends on the trouble and striff,but won't get there until the saturday morning will have to work friday night until about 12 so If I come I will catch the first barge over saturday.Unless I get a run over with daveylad

cheers dassa

ok mate try and tee something up.

The Taggalong idea sounds great isn't it the tinnie and tackel show next weekend 19th to 21st? Ive arranged with my son to go there for more ideas and buy some more tackle and aslo get some instructive ideas on the shows, Am I right to assume that this site sets up regular days out like suggested and people are looking for a ride or a day out looks like a good idea to get into. PS Whats a Yakka & Stink boat? told you I was new to the game

Hey Daveylad,

I'd say one of the best things you can do is bring your boat along on one of the social outings that we have. That way no one is in a rush to get on the water (we all want to be on the water asap during a comp :P ) and everyone will be more than happy to pitch in with help and pointers. We've watched some newies launch boats at ramps and cringed at their lack of knowledge and proximity to destroying their pride and joy.

Yakka - is a person who fishes from a kayak

Stink boat - is a stick at people who own boats and use baits... its a bit of a friendly jab from the yakkers

as you can see stink boaters are jealous of the yakkers :P

And like Do$tylz said, best to go out with someone who knows the "ramp Ettiquette" to avoid holding up others keen to get out there.

If you post a desire to get out on a certain day, I'm sure there is always someone with a bit of experience who will jump in as a deckie. I often leave my boat at home and deckie on others boats at spots that I catch fish.

noname wrote:

yakkers are merely speed bumps in da night!

thudd, what was that :huh:

ahh well, it's still runnin! :laugh:

Azza wrote:

Yakka - is a person who fishes from a kayak cause they wernt allowed to buy a propper boat

Ouch that's harsh; yakkers are all about stealth - make sure you sleep with one eye open - we'll sneak up on you ninja style. :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for all the responses I am impressed at the imput on this forum everyone sounds really great and helpfull, I will watch the site and as soon as things imnprove in the weather side I will be there, I agree with the ramp side of things I still get into the water to get the boat onto the trailer as I'm not confident in driving onto it yet I am sure there will be plenty of advice Again Thanks all for your advice and warm welcome to the site

I will be in touch asap

Davey

daveylad wrote:

The Taggalong idea sounds great isn't it the tinnie and tackel show next weekend 19th to 21st? Ive arranged with my son to go there for more ideas and buy some more tackle and aslo get some instructive ideas on the shows, Am I right to assume that this site sets up regular days out like suggested and people are looking for a ride or a day out looks like a good idea to get into. PS Whats a Yakka & Stink boat? told you I was new to the game

daveylad I hate to say this but...

Dont go to the tinnie and tackle show if you expect your world of tackle knowledge to be blown apart.

Its fine for boats for true.

However, the tackle at the Brisbane Boat Show and the Tinnie And Tackle Show are usually clowns haggling over 3rd rate gear. This is just my opinion (and some 3rd rate gear serves a perfectly good option for some bait fishing trips) but there it is....

In conclusion, you are better off going with the lads where you will be completely initiated into what it means to be "AFO" and probably learn of enough cheap deals and quality home makers of tackle to make the show totally redundant anyway.

Angus

Archived