CSIRO investigates Land Use affecting GBR.

rayke1938

From recent press release from CSIRO.

At least someone is doing something productive with our tax dollars rather than spending it on spin advertising.

Cheers

Ray

Trying to attach a pdf file which i saved in my hold folder and then tried to attach but doesn't seem to be working.

That was quick - it came through as I hit submit on the previous post :woohoo: :laugh:

Anyway, I've taken out all the pics and the add in the middle. (The upload limit is 250kb, original was 618kb) [file name=30_Farming_Ahead_February_2010_No.pdf size=191946]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/30_Farming_Ahead_February_2010_No.pdf[/file]

30_Farming_Ahead_February_2010_No.pdf

Are they reef experts or just losers regurgitating old science that has been around

and ignored since the 1950's, I suspect the latter and further suspect that the issue will promptly be buried in the next financial year, when they all need new contracts.

Actually Ray that PDF looks more like a pamphlet to me, nothing any desk jockey could not have whipped together with a few cut and paste before lunch.

hooked_on_trout wrote:

Actually Ray that PDF looks more like a pamphlet to me, nothing any desk jockey could not have whipped together with a few cut and paste before lunch.

Easy ! lol I butchered the original to make it look like that so it was small enough to attach :laugh:

ellicat wrote:

hooked_on_trout wrote:

Easy ! lol I butchered the original to make it look like that so it was small enough to attach :laugh:

lol, yeah but have to admit is it still a bit light on info.

If you wish a full copy of the paper contact Fiona Henderson she was one of the 2 researchers who did the study between 2003 and 2008 and published their findings in late 2009.

There was a reference to this at the end of the article but it was edited out.

You can contact Fiona on 32142653 and she will be happy to arrange a copy for you.

In my limited research experience I have found most of the CSIRO research spot on.

I thought that most members would be more likely to read a brief overview of the paper rather than spend a day of so wading through a technical paper and associated references.

Cheers

Ray

research.. we all know that farming and development causes tonnes of sediment to flow into the rivers and settle in the bays and reefs (Moreton Bay?).

The government is streamlined these days, only 'yes people' get work.

Its ok I just happen to know that DERM/CSIRO (Closer than you think) recently had a few flunkys on the reef desktop based research and really in reality its laughable, since they probably have never even been to the reef.

But you always get the Government claiming research and trying to make out that is where the money is spent.

I would check the reference list of Fiona Hendersons work and read those papers, then you will know if its the real deal or simply just regurgitation of old scientific knowledge.

Only the first reference seems to have anything to do with the State Government.

References

References are numbered as in the report. Please note that most links to copies of references are external links.

Baker J. 2003. Report on the study of land-sourced pollutants and their impacts on water quality in and adjacent to the Great Barrier Reef. Dept. Premier and Cabinet, Brisbane. pp.187.

Bartley R, Hawdon A, Post DA, Roth CH. 2007. A sediment budget for a grazed semi-arid catchment in the Burdekin Basin, Australia. Geomorphology 87: 302-321. [external link]

Sherman B, Read A. 2008. Uncertainty in Great Barrier Reef Catchment soil nutrient data - implications for land use management. In: Sànchez-Marrè M, Béjar J, Comas J, Rizzoli A, Guariso G. (eds). Proceedings of the 4th Biennial Meeting of iEMSs. 1: 566-573. Barcelona: International Environmental Modeling and Software Society (iEMSs). [26.52MB PDF, external link]

Radke LC, Ford PW, Webster IT, Douglas G, Oubelkheir K, Atkinson I, Obson B, Verway P, Mackenzie K, Clementson L. 2005. Results of two dry-season surveys of Keppel Bay and Casuarina Creek: Biogeochemical properties of the water column and underlying sediments. Canberra: Geoscience Australia. [3.23MB PDF, external link]

Robson BJ, Webster IT, Rosebrook U. 2006. Biogeochemical modelling and nitrogen budgets for the Fitzroy Estuary and Keppel Bay. Indooroopilly: CRC for Coastal Zone Estuary & Waterway Management. [1.61MB PDF, external link]

Wallace JS, Hawdon A, Keen R, Stewart L. 2009. The role of coastal floodplains in generating sediment and nutrient fluxes to the Great Barrier Reef lagoon in Australia. International Journal of Ecohydrology and Hydrobiology. 8: 183-194. [931.53KB PDF, external link]

Wallace JS, Hawdon A, Keen R, Stewart L, Kemei J. In Press. Flood water quality and marine sediment and nutrient loads from the Tully and Murray catchments in north Queensland, Australia. Marine and Freshwater Research. [external link]

Bartley R, Post D, Kinsey-Henderson A, Hawdon A. 2007. Estimating sediment loads in Great Barrier Reef catchments: balance between modelling and monitoring. In: Wilson A, Dehaan R, Watts R, Page K, Bowmer K, Curtis A. (eds). Proceedings of the 5th Annual Australian Stream Management Conference. Australian rivers: making a difference. Albury, New South Wales. [606.87KB PDF, external link]

Kuhnert PM, Henderson A-K., Bartley R, Herr A. 2009. Incorporating uncertainty in gully erosion calculations using the random forests modelling approach. Environmetrics. [external link]

Herr A, Kuhnert P. 2007. Assessment of uncertainty in Great Barrier Reef catchment models, Water Science and Technology. 56: 181-188. [262.14 KB PDF, external link]

Robson BJ, Hamilton DP, Webster IT, Chan T. 2008. Ten steps applied to development and evaluation of process-based biogeochemical models of estuaries. Environmental Modelling and Software. 23: 369-384. [external link]

Robson B, Brando V. 2008. Simulating the response of Keppel Bay coastal waters to potential changes in sediment and nutrient loads. Report to the Fitzroy Basin Association. [1.04MB PDF]. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Webster I, Atkinson I, Bostock H, Brooke B, Douglas G, Ford P, Hancock G, Herzfeld M, Leeming R, Lemckert C, Margvelashvili N, Noble B, Oubelkheir K, Radke L, Revill L, Robson B, Ryan D, Schacht C, Smith C, Smith J, Vicente-Beckett V, Wild-Allen K. 2006. The Fitzroy Contaminants project - A study of the nutrient and fine-sediment dynamicsof the Fitzroy Estuary and Keppel Bay. Cooperative Research Centre for Coastal Zone, Estuary & Waterway Management Technical Report no. 42 CRC for Coastal Zone, Estuary & Waterway Management. [1.72MB PDF, external link]

Webster I, Brinkman R, Parslow J, Prange J, Steven A, Waterhouse J. 2008. Review and gap analysis of receiving water - water quality modelling in the Great Barrier Reef. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship. [9.17MB PDF]

Brodie J, Lewis S, Bainbridge Z, Mitchell J, Kroon F. In Press. Target setting for pollutant discharge management of rivers in the Great Barrier Reef catchment area. Marine and Freshwater Research [external link]

Post D. 2005. Impact of grazing on sediment and nutrient concentrations in streams draining rangelands of the Burdekin Catchment. Ozwater, Townsville, Australia: Australian Water Association: paper t5260. pp. 4.

Post DA, Bartley R, Corfield J, Nelson B, Kinsey-Henderson A, Hawdon A, Gordon I, Abbott B, Berthelsen S, Hodgen M, Keen R, Kemei J, Vleeshouwer J, MacLeod N, Webb M. 2006. Sustainable grazing for a healthy Burdekin catchment. Report to Meat and Livestock Australia. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship. [4.52MB PDF]

Gordon IJ. 2007. Linking land with the ocean: Feedbacks in socio-ecological systems. Hydrobiologia. 591: 25-33. [384.42KB PDF, external link]

Gordon IJ. 2007. The Burdekin Catchment: an R&D hotspot for the environmental impact of the Northern Australian beef industry. Proceedings of the Northern Beef Research Update Conference. Townsville. Pp. 45-50.

Gordon IJ, Nelson B. 2007. Reef Safe Beef: Environmentally sensitive livestock management for the grazing lands of the Great Barrier Reef catchments. In: Swain DL, Charmley E, Steel JW, Coffey SG. (eds). Redesigning Animal Agriculture; the Challenge of the 21st Century. Pp. 171-184. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK.

Scarth PF, Wallace JF. 2009. Land condition monitoring information for reef catchments: a new era. Rangeland Journal. 31: 69-86. [1.67MB PDF, external link]

Abbott BN, Perry JJ. 2008. Mapping very poor condition grazed landscapes at a regional scale – a remote sensing approach. ARS 15th Biennial Conference, Charters Towers, QLD.

Dawes-Gromadzki T. 2005. Bugs beneath the surface: the functional significance of soil macro-invertebrates to landscape health in Australia’s tropical savannas. Insect Science. 12: 307–312. [271.39 PDF, external link]

Thorburn PJ, Webster AJ, Biggs IM, Biggs JS, Park SE, Spillman MF. 2007. Innovative management of nitrogen fertiliser for a sustainable sugar industry. Proceedings Australian Society Sugar Cane Technologists. 29: 85-96.

Thorburn P, Davis A, Attard S, Milla R, Anderson T, McShane T. 2008. Best management practices to improve the quality of water leaving irrigated sugarcane farms: Guidelines for the Burdekin region. Burdekin Solutions Ltd, Townsville. [1.59MB PDF, external link]

McJannet DL. 2007. Towards an understanding of the filter function of tropical wetlands: Lessons from temperate locations, development of a conceptual model and design of a field monitoring strategy. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship. [1.25MB PDF]

Roebeling PC, Webster AJ. 2007. Review of current and future best-management-practices for sugarcane, horticulture, grazing and forestry industries in the Tully-Murray catchment. Report to FNQ-NRM Ltd. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Roebeling PC, Webster AJ, Thorburn PJ, Biggs J, Van Grieken ME. (In Press) Cost-effective water quality improvement in linked terrestrial and marine ecosystems: a spatial environmental-economic modelling approach. Marine and Freshwater Research. [external link]

Roebeling PC, Bohnet I, Smith M, Westcott D, Kroon F, Hartcher M, Hodgen M, Vleeshouwer J. 2005. Landscapes toolkit for triple-bottom-line assessment of land use scenarios in Great Barrier Reef catchments. In: Zerger A, Argent R. (eds). MODSIM 2005 International Congress on Modelling and Simulation. Pp. 711-717. [312.58KB PDF, external link]

Bohnet I, Brodie J, Bartley R. 2008. Assessing water quality impacts of community defined land use change scenarios for the Douglas Shire, Far North Queensland. In: Pettit C, Carwright W, Bishop I, Lowell K, Pullar D, Duncan D. (eds) Landscape analysis and visualisation. Springer. Pp. 383-406. [49.78KB PDF, external link]

Coggan A, Whitten S. 2008. A best practice framework for selecting control actions to improve water quality. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Smajgl A, Morris S, Heckbert S. 2009. Water policy impact assessment – combining modelling techniques in the Great Barrier Reef region. [220.42KB PDF, external link]. Water Policy Journal. 11: 191-202.

Roebeling PC, Smith DM, Biggs J, Webster AJ, Thorburn PJ. 2004. Private-economic analysis of drivers promoting the adoption of best management practices for water quality improvement in the Douglas Shire. A report on the costeffectiveness of BMP implementation for water quality improvement for the Douglas Shire Water Quality Improvement Program. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Bohnet I, Harding E, Haug K, Roberts B. 2007. A typology of graziers’ land management strategies and its importance to sustainability. [805.89KB PDF]. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Sherman B, Henderson B. 2008. A review of methods for addressing margin of safety and reasonable assurance requirements of the framework for marine and estuarine water quality protection. Report to the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, May 2008. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Whitten S, Coggan A, Pert P. 2008. Developing reasonable assurance points of reference for water quality management measure adoption. Report to the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Bohnet I, Bohensky E, Gambley C, Waterhouse J. 2008. Future scenarios for the Great Barrier Reef catchment. [2.96MB PDF] CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Lane MB, Robinson CJ. 2009. Institutional complexity and environmental management: the challenge of integration and the promise of large-scale collaboration. Australasian Journal of Environmental Management. 16: 16-24.

Robinson CJ, Taylor BM, Pearson L, O’Donohue M, Harman B. In Press. A SMART assessment of water quality partnerships in Great Barrier Reef catchments. Australasian Journal of Environmental Management.

Kroon FJ, Robinson CJ, Dale AP. In Press. Integrating knowledge to inform water quality planning in the Tully-Murray basin, Australia.Marine and Freshwater Research. [external link]

Larson S. 2007. Wellbeing and livelihoods survey of Cardwell Shire: Report for the community. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Bohnet I, Kinjun C. In Press. Community uses and values of water informing water quality improvement planning: a study from the Great Barrier Reef region, Australia. Marine and Freshwater Research. [external link]

Kroon FJ. 2008. Draft Tully Water Quality Improvement Plan. Report to Terrain Natural Resource Management. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Dobbie M. 2008. The proposed statistical design strategy for Queensland’s Stream and Estuary Assessment Program. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Dobbie M, Henderson B, Stevens D. 2008. Sparse sampling: Spatial design for monitoring stream networks. Statistics Surveys. 2: 113–153. [external link]

McJannet DL, Fitch PG, Henderson B, Harch B, Bartley R. 2005. Douglas Shire water quality monitoring strategy - final report. Report to Douglas Shire Council and the Department of the Environment and Heritage. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship. [6.21MB PDF]

Kuhnert P, Wang Y-G, Henderson B, Stewart L, Wilkinson S. 2009. Statistical methods for the estimation of annual pollutant loads from monitoring data. Report to MTSRF. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Basting G, Abbott B, Chewings V, Wallace J. 2007. Metrics of landscape health for sustainable grazing in the Burdekin Dry Tropics, Queensland. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Bastin G, Abbott B, Chewings V. 2008. Validating a remotely sensed index of landscape leakiness in the Burdekin Dry Tropics, Queensland. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Ludwig JA, Bastin GN, Chewings VH, Eager RW, Liedloff AC. 2007. Leakiness: a new index for monitoring the health of arid and semiarid landscapes using remotely sensed vegetation cover and elevation data. Ecological Indicators. 7: 442-454. [external link]

Blondeau-Patissier D, Brando VE, Oubelkheir K, Dekker AG, Clementson LA, Daniel P. 2009. Bio-optical variability of the absorption and scattering properties of the Queensland inshore and reef waters, Australia. Journal of Geophysical Research. 114. C05003, doi:10.1029/2008JC005039. [external link]

Brando VB, Dekker AG, Schroeder Th, Park J, Clementson L, Steven A, Blondeau-Patissier D. 2008. Satellite retrieval of chlorophyll CDOM and NAP in optically complex waters using a semi-analytical inversion based on specific inherent optical properties. A study for the Great Barrier Reef coastal waters, In: Proceedings of the XIX Ocean Optics Conference, Barga, Italy.

Brodie J, Schroeder Th, Rohde K, Faithful J, Masters B, Dekker AG, Brando V, Maughan M. In Press. Dispersal of suspended sediments and nutrients in the Great Barrier Reef lagoon during river discharge events: conclusions from satellite remote sensing and concurrent flood plume sampling. Marine and Freshwater Research. [external link]

Qin Y, Brando VE, Dekker AG, Blondeau-Patissier D. 2007. Validity of SeaDAS water constituents retrieval algorithms in Australian tropical coastal waters. Geophysical Research Letter. 34: L21603. doi:10.1029/2007GL030599. [external link]

Kuhnert P, Bartley R, Peterson E, Browne M, Harch B, Steven A, Gibbs M, Henderson A, Brando V, Moore K. 2007. Conceptual and statistical framework for a water quality component of the integrated report card for the Great Barrier Reef catchments. Report to the Department of Environment and Water. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship. [2.47MB PDF, external link]

Eberhard R, Robinson CJ, Waterhouse J, Parslow J, Hart B, Grayson R, Taylor, B. In Press. Adaptive management for water quality planning – from theory to practice. Marine and Freshwater Research. [external link]

Jones G. 2005. Is the management plan achieving its objectives? In: Worboys G, Lockwood M, DeLacy T. Protected Area Management. Principles and Practice, Second edition. Oxford University Press. Pp. 555-557. [external link]

Lynam TJP, Stone Jovicich S, Blanco-Martin B, Gunn J, Manning C. 2008. Bayesian belief network modelling and social learning for water quality management in the Bohle catchment, Townsville, Queensland. CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Gehrke PC. 2007. A comparative analysis of coastal fishery food webs in the Great Barrier Reef region. [674.97KB PDF] CSIRO: Water for a Healthy Country National Research Flagship.

Brodie J, Binney J, Fabricius K, Gordon I, Hoegh-Guldberg O, Hunter H, O’Reagain P, Pearson R, Quirk M, Thorburn P, Waterhouse J, Webster I, Wilkinson S. 2008. Synthesis of evidence to support the Scientific Consensus Statement on Water Quality in the Great Barrier Reef [908.38KB PDF, external link]

Dr Frederieke Kroon is a Senior Research Scientist working on coastal floodplain rehabilitation, and leads the Wet Tropics water quality improvement program in collaboration with FNQ NRM Ltd (Far North Queensland Natural Resource Management Limited).

This program aims to develop actions, mechanisms and partnerships to halt and reverse the decline in the quality of water flowing into the Great Barrier Reef, as outlined in the Reef Water Quality Protection Plan.

Managing a A$1.5 million Water Quality Improvement Plan for Queensland’s Tully/Murray Wet Tropics coastal catchment area, Dr Kroon acts as a broker negotiating the science required with research providers for this plan and the program.

Background

Dr Kroon acts as a broker negotiating the science required with research providers for the Water Quality Improvement Plan for Queensland’s Tully/Murray Wet Tropics coastal catchment area.

After completing her PhD, Dr Kroon lectured in tropical ecology with the Boston University accredited School for Field Studies in Yungaburra on north Queensland's Atherton Tableland.

She then worked with the NSW Fisheries (now NSW Department of Primary Industries) as a research scientist focusing on coastal floodplain management to improve fish passage and water quality.

Dr Kroon subsequently moved to CSIRO Land and Water in Brisbane, Queensland, to develop a new research program on aquatic ecology in tropical rivers and estuaries of Northern Australia.

In 2005 Dr Kroon transferred to the CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems research site in Atherton to become more involved in natural resource management in the Wet Tropics coastal catchments, particularly in the areas of planning and policy.

Academic qualifications

Dr Kroon holds the following academic qualifications:

Drs (equivalent to MSc with BSc) Biology, with majors in marine biology and animal physiology, The University of Groningen, The Netherlands, 1991

a doctorate in zoology, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 1997.

Achievements

Dr Kroon has been awarded a number of scholarships, awards and recognition for her achievements, including:

Lucie Burgers Foundation for Comparative Behaviour Research, Arnhem, The Netherlands, 2003

travel assistance, Dr C Buisman Foundation, The Netherlands, 1996

travel assistance, Dr C van Tussenbroek Foundation, The Netherlands, 1996

graduate student award and scientific meeting travel assistance, Bamfield Marine Station, Canada, 1995

Kit Malkin Fellowship, Canada, 1995

travel assistance, Dr C van Tussenbroek Foundation, The Netherlands, 1995

graduate student travel fund, University of British Columbia, Canada, 1995

graduate student award and scientific meeting travel assistance, Bamfield Marine Station, Canada, 1994

B'nai Brith Hillel Foundation Scholarship, Canada, 1994

Lucie Burgers Foundation for Comparative Behaviour Research, Arnhem, The Netherlands, 1994

Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences Scholarship, The Netherlands, 1989-90.

Fiona Henderson.

* Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Hons), Monash University, 2002

* Graduate Diploma in Science Communication, ANU, 2005

Dont think that you could term DR Kroon a flunky.

Have you read the paper and references?

Maybe you may wish to critique them.

Ray

Archived