Simple Skipperbaits

Nastymind

Does anyone have suggestions for simple skipperbaits? Is a skirted gar the easiest way out or are there other inexpensive ways to go about it? I know there are a vast range of skirted, heavy headed critters out there on the market, but they come with such a heavy headed price tag too.

Nastymind: went to a presentation on big Pelagic fishing hosted by the BSFC. They often used gar and mullet for this purpose.

As you can get some pretty decent skirts for bait fish like this, id have to say it must be the cheapest way.

Even some of those teaser baits you see in the tackle shop can come with heft price tags!

Angus

Yeah thanks. Looks like that might be the way to go. I'm gonna chase some juvenile blacks up north before bringing my boat back in July. Although I have outriggers, I don't wanna get too complicated with it all. Any suggestions on a spread setup. Example: 2 Skippers, 1 Deep Diver and a Shallow Diver.

Post edited by: Nastymind, at: 2007/04/11 19:59

Post edited by: Nastymind, at: 2007/04/11 20:00

bridle rig a 30cm mullet with a marble size sinker under its chin and break its back below the front of the dorsal fin with a spike or a screwdriver. this should alternatly skip, then dive, then skip. the sinker keeps it upright and looking natural. use skippers on the riggers then a shallow and a deep diver on the outside and put a bibless monnow up the middle short under the propwash. good luck with the little blacks.

Archived