Fisherman's Island Ramp ???????

Smiderman

According to our local paper work isnt due to start till May and only access to brisbane river is closed off while they are building new rail bridge to the port.They said that access would be only closed intermittently and they also have stopped fishing under the bridge.

You can still access the boat passage but its a mongrell at dead low tide.

Cheers

Rau

Maybe Tugger can give a bit more info.

I just tried to get some info off the Port of Brisbane website and there is nothing there despite their newsletter saying that there is info in their Jan/ Feb issue.

I have just sent them an email as follows.

Hi

I have been trying in vain to find out some information re the closure of the brisbane river access from the fisherman island boat ramp.

On your website the Jan/Feb issue of the POB news promises information on the closure and info on several other stories.

However on clicking on the story the contents of the issue have absolutely nothing about the closure and nothing about the other featured articles.

Can you please rectify the matter and also advise if access has or has not been closed and if access will be allowed intermittently of not and if the access will be intermittent where can i find out about closure times.

I find the matter totally unsatisfactory.

Ray Kennedy

I will advise when I get a response.

Cheers

Ray

i used it last weekend no probs. There were guys fishing under the bridge as well.

As far as i could see, it doesnt look like they're gearing up for any kind of major construction work in the area, like a rail bridge would be.....

So unless they've really pulled their fingers out this week just gone (unlikely with easter and, lets face it, QRail involved....) then it's prob a little way off yet....

Ray, I was talking with a guy I sort of know who works at the Port. he reckons it will remain open through the construction work and that the channel through to the river will stay open. Not sure how?? Maybe aquatic stop/go men? Better wait for the official response as the conversation I had was after many beers.

Anyway, I have another question - is that passage between the water police and the river a 6 knot zone? I always thought it was and travel slowly through it, but I am always being passed by people up the plane. Could probably get an extra 5 minutes fishing if it isn't speed restricted.

the construction hasn't started yet and access under the bridge will be restricted while they are working on it for saftey reasons as for the speed restriction there the 6 knot zone doesn't start till just before you go under the bridge on the way to the ramp

Wont be closed till August.

Copy of email attached.

Good afternoon Ray,

Thank you for your email about the closures to the Boat Passage via the Whyte Island boat ramp.

On receiving your enquiry we did check our website and we had accidentally uploaded an old version of our newsletter. We have now rectified this issue, and I apologise for the frustration it caused. I have also attached a copy of a notice regarding the boat passage closure.

We are currently working with the building contractor of the bridge and the Harbour Master's office to determine the exact closure times and notification methods. Once this has been determined, can you please confirm that we can notifiy you via this email address?

At this stage the closures will not commence before August 2010.

Kind regards,

Karen Weatherburn.

I will send copy of email to elicat so he can download the pdf file .

Cheers

Ray

Archived