Best Lure for Tilapia

crazywalrus

Hi Guys

I am still a learner when it comes to soft plastics but have been giving it a go. I have been taking my boys down to the local creek and chasing carp and I noticed while we where fishing that there where Tilapia in the creek as well. These ones had a real red tail, very different to the ones I have caught in NPD, Kurwongbah and Tinaroo. I really want to target these but do not want to also target the local tortoises as well so i would like to avoid bait.

I tried a small Gulp minnow grub and managed to get a few chases and only one hit. I was wondering if you guys had any experience with any other lure for these guys and maybe retrieval techniques?

This is one of the Carp we caught (koi carp???) carp_003.jpg

Your carp is a goldfish "wild" goldfish are pretty common in SEQ lakes and streams.

The Tilapia are pretty much the same Tilapia as found elsewhere.

Any small hardbodies plastics even small surface lures work if the tilapia are active.

Worms are the best thing but there is the chance of turtle bycatch.

I have caught a few as bycatch when using sx40s chasing bass but they are a bit exy for the kids to use in creek unless you are prepared to go into the water to retrieve them when snagged.Have a bit of a look around to see if you cn pick up a few cheepos in similar style.

Cheers

Ray

wow nice carp, one of the best looking I have seen in a while.

I beleive they are related very closely to Koi if not Koi.

I used to see coloured carp swiming rivers out west and I am sure they are a remanent of the 70s goldfish pond era, released or disposed of into the local waterway and continue to breed.

Nice fish, sadly still a noxious pest.

Cheers

as akid i used to see tonnes of theese large goldfish in the bremer river and even the odd black one and was told a a large proportion entered various brisbane waterways during the 74 floods (and other substantial floods post 74) as theese waters breached the banks and engulfed backyards and in turn the fishponds. after thier escape they continued to thrive. as they are noxious i think they have to be killed by law, but youve got a good chance (wink wink) of being able to sell the bigger models of orange goldies to the aquarium shops and out door pond shops for up wards of 30 bucks certainly enuff to buy a few new lures. as long as thier out of the water ways i dont see the problem. just stabalise em in clean ged water for a few days

but youve got a good chance (wink wink) of being able to sell the bigger models of orange goldies to the aquarium shops and out door pond shops for up wards of 30 bucks certainly enuff to buy a few new lures. as long as thier out of the water ways i dont see the problem. just stabalise em in clean ged water for a few days :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Highly illegal and unethical because there is a chance that they will end up in another waterway this is one of the ways that they are spread because the kids get sick of looking after them and think they are being kind by releasing them into local creek.

Deedi have enough on their plate without having to cope with new outbreaks and the odds are that they cannot exterminate them anyhow.

Ray

Archived