Green Island Great White???!!!!

Fangdangle

Hi all,

I am really curious about the mention of a largish white pointer aroung Green Island in the fishing reports about 3 weeks ago.

I often go out past the leeds off wello and have done for years in my kayak with my brother. It is really good fishing there in the right spots and so from time to time we might get buzzed by a noah over a couple of feet.

I know that larger sharks are around and that the whites come into the area, (the record for a white on 80lb. line was from between Amity and King Is. somewhere)

I just can't help but think of that documentary where the great white launches the seal 10 feet in the air, makes the paddle more exiting,.

Anyway, does anyone know any more about a pointer hanging around there lately?

I might need a bigger reel next paddle out.

Mate i missed that report :blink:

But i have heard of bis sharks at Wello.

Slightly off topic sorry, but what sort of fish do you catch usually in the kayak there?

Id love to give that a shot some time in my kayak but simply just lack knowledge on that area.

Angus

Hey dudes, are we being serious here?!:blink: I didn't think the big toothy kind got in that close in these parts, although they do migrate from SA up as far as the Coral Sea. I was under the impression they stayed a bit further out once they got up past Surfers and hit the southern islands. Can anyone tell me where the original report was seen? Could be worth a run out with a couple of buckets of chum just for the pic's! :woohoo:

Fral = heaps of what of peel - don't say whites or I'll scream. I have never heard of a white P in moreton.

I have heard of the ocasional one out wide and bothering the islands but nothing inside the bay.

Cliffy I'm with you - if it's a shark it's a big bull.

Oh yeah definately white pointers in the bay.

When I was a kid the gun fishing spot was just off the eastern arm of horsehoe bay at Peel Island, or out from the old whaling station at Amity.

They used to get some some stonkers, mind you there used to be the odd fishing boat show up empty as well! it was not all one sided!.

They are protected now, so you dont hear much about them as no one is fishing for them.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/20 05:20

Yeap they are deff in there Brian.

I have also seen a picture of one washed up bayside at Moreton Island.

And as Fandangle said, the record white on 80lb was also caught in Moreton Bay.

But yeah as Feral said they are protected now so i guess you dont here much about them in fishing press. And im sure the local councils dont actually promote it :P

Angus

I remember seeing on the news a few months back a story about the numbers of juvenile whites schooling just off the beach at a popular northern nsw surfing beach. Its not much of a stretch to think there could be similar numbers in qld...

I think someone posted the link to the video of it on this site??? You could probably search for it on ninemsn still.

Angus,

The reef there has improved dramtically since the dredging has stooped. It used to be pretty silty around king and East side wello, now it is returning to rocks and sand, it is good.

Through the year most common species of fish can be caught, snapper, sweetlip, cod, tuskfish, tuna, kingfish, tailor, morwong etc. Last time I went out a couple of weeks back I caught a massive toadie ovr 30cm long, even thogh I was alone, big golden looking one, first I've seen them around here.

There is a deep hole just east of king island, it is a hazard in a boat but kayaks love it. Just full of catties most of the time, I don't like catching them in the yak cause when you bring them in they grunt and this sometimes brings in the big toothed spectators.

I have noticed I see sharks more often after the dolphin pods go past, must follow for scraps.

To get to the good spots, you need to paddle about 1km out east from king past the drop off. Pick your day as it can get pretty rough out there and is very snaggy in some spots.

As you drift over the different terrain, you will catch different fish.

try to make your drift towards wello or king, I really avoid the drift towards stradddie or green because of the shark factor and also prefer a mid day high tide to avoid being out dusk and dawn, the sharks come in fast at low light.

On a low tide the reef is good to drift over just to look at, nice plate corals and brains as well as a bit of wildlife, fish, turtles and dugongs.

I have been meaning do do a snorkel there, hopefully there might be some crays hanging around the plates.

Well crap Terry - we are just going to have to go back again.;)

Seriously would winter be the best time for Moreton Bay GW's. Colder weather, schools of tailor, jew fish for bait. :)

What would you say to catching a 6kg school jew and using it for GW live bait. We could grab some of Jordans chum.:pinch:

Cowfish13 wrote:

Doesn't anyone on this site know about Vic Hislop?

Half the Whites he caught were in Moreton Bay

Bite your tongue - Vic was my childhood hero! Was at his place just a couple of weeks ago at Hervey Bay! That 6m white pointer is still awesome!

Best bait for Great Whites was either mammal or whale chunks, with a thick blood based burley trail.

I dont think any of it is legal anymore!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/21 18:19

Not having a go at anyone in particular, not defending Vic, as I honestly don't know the topic well enough to debate, but:

Pft, right because one famous/well known shark fisherman is why the waters aren't filled with great whites like they were however many years ago.

Perhaps the whaling stations might also have something to do with it?

No, that couldn't be a possible reason.

Like Feral said, the world is different.

Good, bad, or indifferent, can we change what happened back then? Fat chance. Personally, I'm hoping the white toothies are in the bay, I'd love the chance to get some footage of them...although point taken Feral, it may not be legal these days to lay out a big chum slick and hang half a horse off the back of the boat to entice them in close (shame, though...on a separate point - and another thread - this'd be a great way of controlling the jet-ski population :whistle:).

Okay my bad for kicking the antnest! :ohmy: The view that we have these days about sustainability just didn't exist (or was no where near as common) back then. And I'll admit there were certainly a lot more sharks around back then too. No harm intended guys!B)

In regards to the numbers of whites in the bay these days the comment about the whaling station would be pretty spot on I reckon. The berley made by cleaning a whale would bring sharks in from miles out. Given that it would be a regular occurance when the whales are about, I rekcon the sharks would get accustomed to the time of year that they can get a free feed in the bayB)

Archived