How to survive Glenlyon

Brian D

Most you fishos know I heading to Glenlyon for week.

What is the best way to fish there?

What rigs, lures, lines, trees, drop offs, structure etc.

Also I have lost the brochure for the cabins so does anyone know where it isand best way to get there. What stuff I gotta take. Meaning bedding, food, booze.

How cold is it going to be - I don't think I own a jumper.

Any shared info from your experiences will be appreciated. I haven't caught a yellow since I was a kid.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/04/20 19:33

One method to fish for yellas is -

3/0 Octopus or similar wide gape hook with a live shrimp or two fished at around 12 to 14 foot using a small sinker or larger split-shot. Slowly lift and drop of rod tip about 1 foot. Tie up to a tree.

Give it a half hour - if nothing then move to one of the 30,000,000 other trees:P

I'll be back later and let you know a couple of trees to try....but Brian Dare will point you in the right direction anyway.

Cheers

PS Feral had a thread some time ago where he described casting out away from the trees along the edge of a weedbed. With his crew and others in his group on a different vessel doing quite well using this method.

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/04/20 19:55

The turn off to Texas is stupid, you actually have to turn off into Stanthorpe to the left, then come back under the highway after a k or two. (there are no exit ramps where the highway crossed the road to Texas!) It is well signed.

There is a woolies in Stanthorpe for a final stock up of groceries, then about an hour run out to the dam.

Shrimp are the go, usually very easy to catch, to the right of the ramp. Get frames etc at the fish cleaning area for your pots first day. (North west corner of camping grounds)

Take a lighter or matches, the BBQ's and free wood are the way to go when ever you can for cooking (2 or 3 cabins grouped around each BBQ area).

When I was there, best way to catch Yella's was to tie up to a tree about 10 to 15 foot outside the weed beds, then fish directly beow the boat,(15 to 20 foot deep) along the weed edge. The yella's would show up in groups, we would catch 3 or 4 every half hour or so.

Mind you that was in summer when the dam was deeper, probably changed totally now! Brian Dare will see you right anyway.

Wish I was going, have fun mate!

Oh - your not allowed to catch a cod before me though!

Wast of trying to right of ramp for shrimp but you may get some grasshappers there. There aint no water there. We found best place on first bay on other side of dam heading towards dam wall dropped traps in about 3 feet of water tied to tree trunk usually got about 3 handfulls of shrimp in each trap. But talk to Brian.

Do a search on wheris for glenlyon and it will give you a map and directions.

Good luck

ray

the best things about these photos is i can show them to my girlfriend and say i really dont have all that much i gotta by more stuff

take insert favourite spirit here

i heard that yellowbellys often fall to black and yellow coloured lures dont know why though

Post edited by: Oztrav, at: 2007/04/21 13:01

According to Brian Dare on nuggets fishing on 4bc this morning yellas are bighting their heads off one group of three caught and released 170 in one day but the cod are very scarce . Shrimp and jackalls are the go. Better take a pack of cards as I think you may get a disease called \"yella'd out\". If you do a search on wheris put in pinacle road glenlyon and you can get turn by turn directions to the door.

Ray

According to Brian Dare on nuggets fishing on 4bc this morning yellas are bighting their heads off one group of three caught and released 170 in one day but the cod are very scarce . Shrimp and jackalls are the go. Better take a pack of cards as I think you may get a disease called \"yella'd out\". If you do a search on wheris put in pinacle road glenlyon and you can get turn by turn directions to the door.

Ray

Thanks Aaron and Oz. I posted the photo, not to show off, cause if I wanted to do that I would have taken a photo of all my stuff :woohoo: :woohoo:

But I put it there because I thought fellow tackle rats would get a kick out of it. I know I like seeing stuff like that.

Ray - if you're talking about step by sep to tenterfield - got it covered - going to spend anzac day and night at the pub playing 2up with the cheese and biscuits.

We are going to leave early and spend a night at Boonah. As I said also going to Tenterfield. Is there anywhere else that I should realy see or take the squeese to.;)

Is this what you wanted OZ? [img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/g5.JPG

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/04/21 19:39

post-118-144598412237_thumb.jpg

Archived