the determination!!

Jordan

hey all

this is kinda a report mixed with a question since im stuck for time and am to lazy for both.

the report:

went out with adrian (kiara poltergist) for a bit of a fish as i was convinced i could show him some good brisbane river fish. unfortunatley i diddnt. i caught one little cod, he caught some fish that was about as big as one of the trebbles, and he lost two lures :pinch:. at one stage he was using quite a large lure and casting as far out as he could. \"poor lad\" i thought, as i knew he wasnt going to catch anything like that. while i was thinking this i was watching his rod tip bend to an impossible angle. haha thats a funny looking rod i thought before the blatantly obvious fact that he was on to a good fish hit me. (backed up by a extaticly screaming little man). unfortunatly the fish was lost, and by the time i realised he was on, he was off again. i was pretty embarrased, not one fish for the poor guy.

my question is, while fishing the river we found an awwwwesome looking squire spot. this was backed up by some old guy sitting on the rocks who had caught 4 in about an hour or so. i couldnt believe it!! naturally, he was pretty hesitant to leak any secrets, so i was just wondering what the best tides are, and im going to probably be using mullet strips and squid, is this ok? mayb some pillie in between.

fishing very light to, maybe a small barrel sinker to let it roll along the bottom with a smallish hook. any advice would be very nice.

jordan

Mate I have not had lots of success with the squire but I can pass on the tips from a friend who lives at Port Phillip Bay.;) He says to use a porternose rig(I think thats what its called). Its a heavy sinker at the very end with two hooks above it spaced about 20cm apart. Now the real secret is cut a pillie in half take your squid and put it over the half pillie like a sock. Pillie wraped in squid.Yummy.

Like I said I am no expert but I will pass on what I know. The other thing is this works well down there but I don't know wether it will have the same sucess up here.:)

The humble Squire

[img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_0263_AFO.jpg

post-458-144598412919_thumb.jpg

here's the cod our man Jordan managed to land on our trip :). hehe. not too big, but better than nothing eh mate :) :laugh: :laugh:. note the cross-lock on mainline. makes life soo much easier when changing lures, and doesnt impede the lure action at all. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/jordancod.JPG

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/04/29 22:38

post-1023-144598413444_thumb.jpg

The MAN of Nudgee and Shultz!!!! :D.. hehe. AFO's very own Jordan Hunt!! :laugh: :laugh: .. excellent fisherman. A pleasure to fish with ya Jordan. lets do it again sometime ;) hehe [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/themanD.JPG

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/04/29 22:47

post-1023-144598413448_thumb.jpg

polyphonic wrote:

He says to use a porternose rig(I think thats what its called). Its a heavy sinker at the very end with two hooks above it spaced about 20cm apart.

G'day Poly, you're right - it's called a paternoster rig, and your description is 100% accurate. I like to fish mine with the first hook about 150mm up from the sinker, with the next hook about 200mm further up again. I like the sound of the pilly-in-squid baits too - great way to keep soft baits active for longer in current.

Archived