2010 September FOTM Chat Tailor

Angus

elops wrote:

Theres a few of these vermin around the mouth of the River and Mud at the moment some fairly large ones 55 cm or more

Vermin???

Mate, I snared a couple this morning that smashed surface lures. They both ran like the clappers and the feistier of the two gave us a bit of an aerial display... "TWICE"... trying to spit the lure it engulfed right down to its gill-rakes. Estuary sight-fishing at it's finest!

My good friend caught a few last weekend, smoked 'em in his backyard and was good enough to share one.

Of which, I proceeded to flake it up and mix it into some fish-cakes which I had for dinner.

4956319387_0b5487e1f1_z.jpg

I'll post the report and a few more photos tomorrow.

I just had a look at Doobsy' entry for this month's FOTM - looking at the background there are houses everywhere! I was only up the Pin 2 weeks ago..it sure got developed quickly :)

Seriously though good start for the month. Best I managed this morning was one that was lucky to be 20cm - of course if Jack was FOTM then...

Doobsy wrote:

elops wrote:
Theres a few of these vermin around the mouth of the River and Mud at the moment some fairly large ones 55 cm or more

Vermin???

Mate, I snared a couple this morning that smashed surface lures. They both ran like the clappers and the feistier of the two gave us a bit of an aerial display... "TWICE"... trying to spit the lure it engulfed right down to its gill-rakes. Estuary sight-fishing at it's finest!

My good friend caught a few last weekend, smoked 'em in his backyard and was good enough to share one.

Of which, I proceeded to flake it up and mix it into some fish-cakes which I had for dinner.

4956319387_0b5487e1f1_z.jpg

I'll post the report and a few more photos tomorrow.

Nice one mate!

I would love to see a step my step in the Recipes section next time!

A: Because i love smoked fish!

B: Because i love fish cakes!

See you sunday mate.

Angus

tugger wrote:

i would think it is, the bigger tailor come through this time of year and large numbers are found on reefs and beaches now. i was going to target them this month anyway down on the gold coast

hooked_on_trout wrote:

Not really tailor season?

Yeah for sure.

Over the next month the tailor will off all the beaches and islands (already plentiful reports noosa way) and we are also seeing more and more in the Estuaries. Add to this their land based accessability at locations like the seaway, cleveland etc and it makes them a very achievable FOTM.

Angus

• 3 weeks later...

marty wrote:

I just had a look at Doobsy' entry for this month's FOTM - looking at the background there are houses everywhere! I was only up the Pin 2 weeks ago..it sure got developed quickly :)

Seriously though good start for the month. Best I managed this morning was one that was lucky to be 20cm - of course if Jack was FOTM then...

Hey Marty...where'd you catch the Jack? awesome fish - would love to get one of them

Archived