The Original Skinny Tinny, Blue Fin Tinoo 3.0

craige1983

Hi all, Just thought i'd post my own personal review on the Blue fin tinoo 3.0

A couple months ago I sold my Ally Craft 3.75 to down size to a smaller boat due my growing interest in wanting to fish the skinny waters of the Gold Coast in which you can't launch a boat using a trailer, so I considered a kayak however I have already previously owned one and due to the lack of space, that idea didn't appeal to me, next was, how about a canoe? my personal experience with them are they're not stable enough to my liking to stand up and flick lures around,a bit on the heavy side and it won't fit in the back of my hilux, i need some thing that i can carry by my self, plus I want to put a small petrol outboard on what ever i get.So not suited for my needs again. which brought me to the small tinny range, I have also previously owned a 3m v-nose tinny wt.approx 60kg so its too heavy to carry and always needs tinny wheels attached to move it, plus took up too much room when storing it at my little house.

so I start looking at the Blue Fin Small tinny range, with wanting only to spend approx.$1000 on the hull itself there were a couple options such as the Catfish, Jon boat and tinoo. well I needed something that would fit in the back of my hilux and still leave me with enough room to fit all my gear aswell, the cat fish and the jon boat are pretty similar to each other so i considered the jon boat but then the weight factor come into play and the dimensions didn't work with my style side tray, so now I was left with the Tinoo 3.0 & 3.75, the 3.75 is too long for my tray so it was the 3.0.

With the tinoo only being 840mm at its widest it left plenty of room either side of my tray, and 3m long there is a small amount of over hang, at 35kg it easier enough to carry to the waters edge, it can also take a petrol outboard, they say 2.5hp for the 3.0 and 4hp for the 3.75, although there is no difference in either of the transoms. and from reading reviews it was stable enough to stand up comfortably.

So I purchased the Tinoo 3.0 here's my specs for it

Humminbird Matrix 12 with GPS antannae

2x rod holders

38lb minn kota Endura Pro transom mount (for the dams)

44lb Jarvis Marine Watersnake bow mount with quick release

4hp Yamaha 07

60L livewell recirculating aka esky with bilge

So how does it perform out on the water? for starters i hate having two people in it due to the space, and you dont want to be standing up due to any sudden movements caused from the other person, but with one person standing in the middle section with feet placed on either side of the deck is fine, gets a bit a wobbly if you stand dead centre, with the yamaha it travels at 22kph with out any gear onboard and all fully loaded up with bow mount and battery 17kph, the 44lb bow mount in full flight travels at 6kph. I don't stand up when using the bow mount due to stability i just sit on top of my livewell which is much higher then the tinoo walls so there isn't any need to stand up as its elevated and practical enough just cruising around and casting. In the reviews it says its easy to paddle just like a canoe but its not its easier to paddle, its easier than a full size tinny but canoes paddle way easier and it doesn't glide as well through the water like a canoe.

So all in all I'm more than happy with how it has turned out, its very versitle for various waterways and can cover resonable distances fairly quickly.

thanks all for reading.

Death Ray wrote:

Thanks for the good post, what did this rig set you back if you don't mind me asking.

Cheers

Blue Fin Tinoo 3.0 (new)- $975.00

humminbird matrix with GPS (new)- $500.00

07 4hp Yamaha (2nd hand)- $600.00

44lb watersnake bow mount (2nd hand)- $280.00

38lb minnkota endura pro (2nd hand)- $80.00

trolley (new)- $90.00

fun times to be had- PRICELESS

craige1983 wrote:

Death Ray wrote:
Thanks for the good post, what did this rig set you back if you don't mind me asking.

Cheers

Blue Fin Tinoo 3.0 (new)- $975.00

humminbird matrix with GPS (new)- $500.00

07 4hp Yamaha (2nd hand)- $600.00

44lb watersnake bow mount (2nd hand)- $280.00

38lb minnkota endura pro (2nd hand)- $80.00

trolley (new)- $90.00

fun times to be had- PRICELESS

Thanks mate, glad you enjoy it. Who wouldn't

That looks sweet for the price. You thought about putting in some decks or carpet?

Ive been thinking of buying something similar to this for the same sorta price range that I could fit out with decking/carpet etc and than enter abt bass electric events . Did you have a look at the 3.75 before you bought this, how do they look?

Yeah I'm eventually going to deck the front section and carpeting the rest, also install a folding seat at the rear and that will be project complete. I'm into the bass electric events,went up to lake macdonald event last month and qualified for the grand final, didn't have the bow mount back than so i'm looking forward to having the convenience of a bow mount at cania dam, I did check out the 3.75 they are exact same width as the 3.0 but the extra .75 adds a stack load more room especially for a 2nd person and only 3kg heavier, but due to how i transport the tinoo in the back of my ute i wasn't comfortable with the amount of overhang, if i had a sedan with roof racks i would have got the 3.75.

• 2 years later...

Archived