A Letter From Grandma

Gad

Dear Lawrie,

The other day I went to my local Christian book store and saw a “Honk If You Love Jesus†bumper sticker. I was feeling particularly “sassy†that day because I had just come from a thrilling choir performance, followed by a thunderous prayer meeting. So I bought the sticker and put it on my car’s bumper.

Boy, am I glad I did. What an uplifting experience followed when I stopped at a red light at a busy intersection. I was sitting there, lost in thought about the Lord and how good he is, when I discovered how many other people love Jesus! The guy behind me started honking like crazy. He even leaned out of his window and screamed “Go! For the love of God Go! Go! Go! Jesus Christ, Go!â€

What an exuberant cheerleader for Jesus he was! Everybody else started honking as well. I just leaned out of my window and started waving and smiling benevolently at all those loving people. I even honked my own horn a few times to share in the love.

There must have been a man from Florida there because I'm sure I heard someone yelling something about “sun on the beachâ€. I saw another guy waving in a funny way with only his middle finger stuck in the air. I asked my young great-grandson (not Mark - the other one) who was in the back seat what that wave meant. He said that it was probably a Hawaiian good luck sign or something. Well, I've never met anyone from Hawaii so I leaned out of my window and returned his good luck sign.

My great-grandson burst out laughing - even he was enjoying this religious experience. A couple of people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that they got out of their cars and started walking towards me. I suppose they wanted to pray with me, or to ask me what church I attended. But at this point I suddenly realised that the lights had changed to green, so I could only wave and smile at all my brothers and sisters as I drove off through the intersection.

Then I noticed I was the only one who had been quick enough to get through the intersection before the lights changed back to red. I felt kind of sad that I had to leave my new-found friends after all the love we had shared. So I slowed a little, leaned out of the window and gave them all the Hawaiian good luck sign one last time as I drove off.

Praise the Lord for such wonderful people!

Grandma

Archived