First shark targeting adventure

jimbell

Jimbell you will get plenty advice here.

In the river a med snapper rod and about 3000 series reel would do you. Also those cheapo pre made wire traces will do you with a 7/0 live bait hook in a smelly mullet should do the trick. But it's a bit late in the season.

I know Angus will disagree about where the bullies are this time of year but I wreackon they bugger off.:P

My advise is target the bream, squire, tailer and flatties this month. Spinning for tailor with the rig above towards the mouth or at manly should she you with some fish. start up cost fro all including tackle and bait should be under $200 - cheaper then a night in the pub.;)

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/05/03 15:48

I agree with Brian, for river sharks, just get a bog spinning set up.

And as Big Chilly D also said, they will slow right down soon. You can cathc them, but be patient. They will start coming back on hard and fast in about November, give or take a month. I didnt see notable captures until Jan this last season really.

For tackle and bait tips, have a look at this.
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/fish-information/hints-and-tips/how-to-catch-bull-sharks-river-whalers.html

Angus

Me and Jimbell went to BCF tonight and got some pretty heavy duty set ups for our sharking adventure......we're gonna try some live baits as well as some pilchards from the bait shop.

Is live bait by far better than using frozen pilchards on gang hooks?

Yeah live bait is by far the best, you will still catch fish(and sharks) on a well presented dead bait though! Come to think of it I cant think of Terry (Our resident big river sharking nut!) actually filing a shark report on livies, he prefers eels for bait.

How about I beef this thread up a bit with some examples of captures no the different baits and the rigs used? I assume it's OK to recycle some photos.

THis was caught on a live bony bream about 23cm using a home made 100lb wire trace and 9/0 hooks. [img size=487]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hm-f454a13814f2ef3af5a315f5b93f9aa4.jpg

post-118-144598413902_thumb.jpg

This was caught with a frozen dead mullet on a bloody big home made trace system by Terry. HIs baits and hooks are sooo big he uses cable ties to hold the bait to the hooks and I'm not talking small cable ties, he uses the biggest you can get. Hence he catches big fish.[img size=485]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/t5-7fbaca0f3b3cd321661e456e47d593a7.JPG

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/05/05 07:27

post-118-144598413909_thumb.jpg

Archived