Hard bodies and Rust!

PilziSEQ

Hi Guys, Im a pretty new member, since joining I have grown very fond of lure fishing before this year the most lure fishing I had done was throwing homemade lead slugs at taylor. (which every now and then we would give em a touch of the chrome pressure pack)

Now Ive invested in some nice switchblades, laser pro's etc etc and Im wondering how you guys keep em from rusting?

Is there a scented lube out there that the fish like and keeps the rust away? I thought of usin WD40 lol but I dont think the fish would appreciate that.....

Cheers

Pilzi

I agree with the above posters, i have always just rinsed them in freshwater. The majority of the time this works well, but occasionally some hooks rust out, maybe from salt in the tacklebox (i usually try and wash this out but not after every trip).

I won't use WD40 and co, for the same reasons another poster stated, i don't want it to put off fish biting the lure. Just paranoid about that stuff i suppose.

Rust is a fact of life in SW 2 different types of metal + saltwater = corrosion.

Trolling lures suffer the worst especially hardbodies.

Rinse my lures in fresh and dry.

WD 40,Inox ect definately put fish off biting a lure less of a factor when trolling or retrieving fast in the case of a reaction bite.

When using slow retrieves , suspending lures these products WILL affect the number of strikes.

gotta admit i am fundamentally slack, for all the babying i give my reels and rods i don't even rinse lures or keep the salted ones seperate :dry:

havent had to throw any out cause of rust, but i do cycle through them fairly quick by losing lures to bustoffs and snags

got a few lures that have had much abuse and would be fine with a treble change, cant imagine if you gave your lures a freshwater rinse every session that they wouldnt be absolutely fine without needing to inox or wd40

• 2 weeks later...

I use WD-40 on all mine and they rarely ever rust. For the sceptics and supersticious among us, I can absolutely guarantee that fish are NOT put off by wd-40 at all! For starters, it's actually fish oil based, which means it isn't as unappealing as you might think.

There was an episode on the Fishing DVD quite a while ago where Starlo talks about using it to keep lures in good order. I have caught all manner of supposedly shy fish on both my Hards, and my plastics, mind you, only a nitwit would go and spray the stuff on their plastics :S

I keep my hards and jigheads in compartmentised boxes, (as I assume most folk do) and they cop a hefty coating of wd-40 after every trip.

Last weekend's trip saw 4 Big Eye trevs on Popper, 5-6 qulaity Bream on both popper and plastic, a decent whiting and 6 good Flatties, again on a mix of plastics and hard. I'm not trying to brag and that is not the intent of revealing that information, however, if WD-40 was a put off to fish, I doubt I'd have had such good fortune. Especially where the Bream are concerned, the old Bream should never be regarded as a stupid fish, someone's only got to drop a fart nearby and they'll run for cover, never to be encountered again that day!

They are quite astute and I'm sure would be the first to pick up on something smelly and strange around a suspicious looking lure.

Dopey old Flatties on the other hand, you could soak your lures in used engine oil and they'd likely still hit it B)

Archived