Upper Nerang River -> into Hinze

mojo

G'day all

We're going up to Hinze early tommorow to wet a line, and later will be checking out the boat ramp area near the enviromental park.

I also just noticed while browsing google earth the Nerang river looks quiet good from the bridge back to the dam.

I presume there's no barriers for the fish moving upstream? and just wanted to ask has anyone fished this area? private property?

The other thing I noticed was in several areas the road thats winds its way around is only 75-100 metres from the dam itself.

Seeing as we dont have a boat, I'm keen to try as many land based spots as possible, the quieter the better.

Any help/advice much appreciated

Mojo

There is a park somewhere below the dam wall you can fish. Everything in the dam will be in the river below.

I have heard of Toga being caught from the spillway as well. However im not sure if you can fish the spillway. In fact i doubt it so just be careful there.

Sorry im not much help, these are just based on things i have heard. Hopefully someone will have some more accurate info.

Angus

Cheers Angus, had a look below the spillway but didnt see any decent looking accessible area's, I'm more interested in the western arm area where the nerang flows into hinze. see pic

I'll have an explore around and hopefully post a report tommorow afternoon.

Mojo [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/h1_01.jpg

post-1275-14459841405_thumb.jpg

Thats interesting mate.

I have never been right up that arm to explore.

Looks pretty interesting though.

Looking forward to your report.

Take some surface lures as everyone always says the toga seem to stick far up the arms!

Good luck.

Angus

After last week you can rest assured I'm stocking up on the surface lures :laugh: ...what a buzz.

I'd love to check those spots out before daybreak with some poppers but dont like the idea of blindly stumbling around in unfamiliar territory.

So we'll probably fish the first ramp early and head up that way once we can see a little better.

Anyone have a favourite toga Lure they can recommend?

Cheers

Mojo

I caught my first ever bass in the nerang river about 7-8 years ago we used to get up early cut through some farmers propety while its still dark i cant remember how far down stream we used to fish but I know we parked near a bridge and followed the river down looking for good holes or deeper water some times you could see the bass thats how I got my fist, sight casting with a slavco bug and watched the bass smash the lure thats what got me hooked on freshwater fishing. But the last time i went there a year or so ago it was very shallow and i had no luck.

Not much to report guys, got there at 5.30 am and tried surface poppers at the dam wall boat ramp, got 2 small -30cm bass. Definitely not as hungry, or angry as last week. There was a westerly breeze blowing on the lake surface creating small chop of around 5-10 cm so weather this renders the poppers less effective I dont know.

We then took a drive upto the western arm boat ramp and gave it a flogging for and hour with poppers and gvibes all to no avail, the banks were not as good as I expected for land based but it sure is a pretty spot. (except for one fairly new burnt out commodore)

I also tried to find access to the rock pool area but didnt count on the thick scrub and the banks being so steep, I'll leave that to the mountain goats.:)

Still, now I know where it is I intend to give the western arm another go just before sunup sometime very soon.

cheers

Mojo

• 14 years later...

Greetings to all you friendly Australian bass fishermen from a visiting old Rhodesian to Nerang.

Wanted to wet a line on Hinze but found the gate locked at the memorial site. Anyone know the reason for this?

Went to the tackle shop to get some kit, rubber worms, off-set hooks , bullet sinkers etc. Was told "here in Oz we don't use bullet sinkers".

I am not a pro but have landed a few 5kg large mouth in Africa using bullet sinkers with rubber worms. Are you guys ahead of the game or am I missing something?

Best regards to you good folk living in a wonderful country.

Ken Konschel.

Hi Ken

Welcome to the forum. 

Admittedly, I have never used bullet sinkers, or even heard of them. I am sure they would work though. The main types of sinkers used in OZ are ball, bean, barrel, star/teardrop/snapper, and many more various sinker types. You could look at buying some online if you wanted them. 

The gate may have been closed because the dam wasn't open or because it got flooded - but I wouldn't be to sure. There are bass and saratogas in Hinze Dam.

Good luck,

Hamish