Nth Pine Dam 12/05/07

adventure_angler

g'day guys,

Well after last weeks session at the dam me and my mate Andrew decided we would hit the dam up again this morning. Woke up to find it bucketing down, but was not going to let that get int he way of a fishing session. Arrived at the dam at 4:15am and began walking and flicking the usual lures, me using G-Vibes and Andrew flicking various Jackalls. Once again, nothing until the sun started to show itself above the hills and from that point on the fish started biting. Had a great half hour period in which Andrew got 4 bass and I got 2. After this the action died down dramatically, with all hits shutting down for almost an hour. After this quiet period things began to happen again and a few more bass started to get caught. Got a few decent sized bass, along with the usual average sized fish. As noted in the last report, the bass at North Pine are really energetic at the moment and putting on huge runs and massive hits. Just when we thought the fish had gone off the bite I got a good hit. The bass had taken the lure strongly and started its energetic fight, but not for long. It took me around a snag and that was that. Decided to stay on and a few casts with a new G-Vibe and I was on again. My drag was tight after the last hit and run but that didnt stop this fish from heading straight for deeper water. It ran lke a freight train and there was no stopping it at all, until it took me round a snag. I could still feel vibrations on the line, so waited a few minutes and kept the line moving and eventually it came free, only to continue its mad run towards the centre of the dam. Got bricked again and after waiting yet again it came free and spat my lure... I couldnt believe it, I had fought with this fish for a few minutes just to have it throw the lure right back at me. Was definately a good sized fish with none of the other bass caught today coming anywhere as close in terms of energy and fight. Starting to sound like a repeating story, but before we left I managed to lose another fish just 3 metres from the bank. Things went dead again after this and we decided to call it a day.

Total Tally:

Nelson: 5 bass

Andrew: 5 bass

Rocket:

Despite it pouring down when I woke up and the whole drive there it only rained for about 5 minutes after we arrived and as the day went on only got better. As for fishing spots, everyone has their own spot they prefer. The best option I would suggest which we normally take is to get to the bank and walk until you find deeper looking water. Have a fair few cats and if no luck continue on. I have heard of people doing well at all of the popular spots lately. Personally I like Forgan Cove, but a fair few good reports have come from places such as McGavins View (not closed for fishing as far as I know). The main thing is to be fishing deep water because we have gone great at one spot and then the next week found it to be dead, but the good spots are always deep. As for colours and lure advice there are a few main points. I always use G-Vibes and my mate usually works Jackalls. When the fish are on the bite they will take any colour. Today the bass were caught on the pink / pearl, Gold, Transparent Light Brown G-Vibes and Wakasaki Jackall. We ran into a few other guys today and they had caught 1 or 2 bass on spinners too, so maybe they are worth a go.

Another way at looking at the Total Tally could be:

G-Vibes: 5

Jackalls: 5

Pretty equal if you ask me, not to mention that the 3 large hits and runs were on a gold G-Vibe.

Also, I lost 2 lures today, to my mates one and still came out at half the cost.

-nelson-

Thanks for the report, Nelson.

I've been out to NP heaps of times this year without catching anything. That was always in the afternoon though. I'll probably do the 5:00 AM thing this weeks sometime :) .

Post edited by: robski, at: 2007/05/12 19:28

Archived