First Voyage, blooded the yaks

PlasticFantastic

Not sure where to post this as it contains kayak stuff, salt report and fresh report so thought it was better in this section. So here goes.

After purchasing my Profish 45 fellow AFO member Flash wanted in on the kayak scene and quickly snapped up the secondhand Malibu Pro Explorer that was for sale on here last week. So two mates with yaks keen to fish and all its done is piss it down with rain so after a couple of drinks Friday night at the Reddie Bay the call was made to head to Raby Bay for our first trip. We were on the water and fishing by 6.00. Gordo trolled for a bit in hope of a Cod or Jack as I sorta just paddled around looking for a likely pontoon holding some fish. Armed with a 2-4kg setup and a 1/12 jighead with a Atomic Prong I made what i think was only my second cast for the day at a pontoon that looked like it had a few fish under it. As the plastic sank and hit the bottom I went to lift it and came up tight and thought sweet first fish for the yak then the thing woke up and towed me forward for a second or two. So after yelling out to Gordo i'm on he paddles over with the net and low and behold what comes up but a fat 38cm Raby Bay Bream. Unfortunately that was the only fish for the Raby Bay session still trying to figure out the fishing and paddling at the same time thing.

post-5191-144598557068_thumb.jpg

38cm Raby Bay Bream

post-5191-144598557076_thumb.jpg

Me with a stupid pose on the new ride

post-5191-144598557084_thumb.jpg

Gordo in his Malibu

After calling the session over at about 10 we dropped in at Fishhead on the way through to talk to the guys there and someone suggest with the rain around that the Bass would be on the chew in Hinze Dam, so with that we went home for about and hour or so and then headed to Hinze Dam. The drive down was shocking in the rain but for a change it wasn't raining over the Hinze Dam so we put in and paddled around looking for some Bass action. I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about freshwater fishing so we were told to fish points and the inlets so thats what we did to not much avail. Only luck was Gordos whilst trolling a Sebile Flat Shad, he managed to catch three small Bass and drop another bigger one whilst trolling. Must say that i'm keen for a bit more of the freshwater scene after that trip.

post-5191-144598557091_thumb.jpg

Gordos mini Bass

post-5191-144598557096_thumb.jpg

Slightly bigger Bass

So that's it for the day and what a long day it was but all worth it in the end. It's going to take some practice sorting out the whole fishing and paddling thing but that's half the fun of it. So hopefully the first big fish trip will be Hervey Bay at Christmas, plan there is to troll around Point Vernon for some macs or what ever's around weather permitting.

Cheers

PlasticFantastic

Mongrel Jack, yeah the Profish seems pretty good so far nice and stable easy to paddle and tracks dead straight. Haven't paddled any other yaks though so i'm not really in the know on these things.

Andrew, you still need me to deckie someone has to hook the big fish put on a show and then loose it as usual plus who's going to take your GT photos.;)

JamesMac, mate Hinze Dam is at the back of the Gold Coast only about 50mins drive from Victoria Point but it's pretty restricted with usage at the moment.

Can see me getting hooked on the yak fishing so hopefully plenty of reports to come from all over the south east corner.

Cheers

PlasticFantastic

Archived