Red claws at northpine dam

Anhie

hey anhie ive never clawed or fished npd hopfully oneday soon and i can tick it off my list of dams to hit up.

if its any thing like somerset dam you should get em in the slightly deeper water on the edges of the weed beds. tinned cattfood rockmelon all works good. i know of a bloke that uses nothing but crushed garlic gloves in the opera house traps and does alright.

use opera house traps or at least a trap with a small enterance so turtles cant get in.

also use the search catergorys.there have been heaps of awsome techniques how to do it posted on this site before

mick

Hey Anh good to hear from you mate.

Honestly I would be hitting Ray up for the goss as has been suggested.

I know a lot of people do chuck pots in land based but I would be worried about thieves. In saying that, when I have been fishing with Ray, sometimes traps left for only a couple of hours have still given great results.

So if you are happy to wait, have a fish and then collect, you could still be in with a good chance.

I would prob look at areas on google maps where slightly deeper areas are close to the bank (a contour map would help) as this will allow you to reach deeper water land based.

Good luck mate.

Those stickers will be in the post tomorrow :)

Angus

hi mate - if land based I used to catch them around Bullockys Rest. The best bet is at night time. Get there about an hour before sunset and though your pots out as far as you can. Check them first time about an hour after dark and then every hour after that. You will continue to get them throughout the night. I personally have not done that good landbased there during the day. It is a pretty hard hit area so do not expect big red claw. Remember you are not allowed to throw them back.

At dusk throw out a line on the bottom and you will pick up a regular catch of small eel tailed catties.

• 10 years later...

Hi Anhie I use pots in NPD and throw them out as farI can Park at McGavin View and follow track and find a way down to lake side I use Melon boiled potatoes PawPaw cat food etc all seem to work. I check them after 2 hrs or so and pull them out at daybreak. But beware there are som people who believe in share farming and take traps and all

16 hours ago, Paully said:

Hi Anhie I use pots in NPD and throw them out as farI can Park at McGavin View and follow track and find a way down to lake side I use Melon boiled potatoes PawPaw cat food etc all seem to work. I check them after 2 hrs or so and pull them out at daybreak. But beware there are som people who believe in share farming and take traps and all

Welcome to the forum Paully, and thanks for the good advice.

Cheers Hamish