Bligh predicts flood higher than 74.

rayke1938

From BOM:

"At the Brisbane City Gauge (lower end of Edward Street and at Thornton Street),

moderate flood levels of about 3 metres are expected tonight with the 3am high

tide. Higher flood levels to 4.5 metres (major) are expected with the high tide

on Wednesday afternoon (3pm). River rises will continue into Thursday with

levels higher than 1974 expected. The 1974 flood peak was 5.45 metres at the

Brisbane City gauge."

/>http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20805.html

Stay Safe guys.

I'm curious as to how this is so.

Campbell Newmann had a 'current prediction' moments ago for Thurs of 4.2m in the Brissy,

1974 was 5.45.

Hvae they come up with some new figures? and what are they I wonder?

yes, lastest figures are higher than what the Lord Mayor quoted and are predicting to be higher than the 1974 figures

Just went for a drive around the area (windsor)

Breaky Creek (Enoggera Creek) cut off Northey Street. You could have taken a boat down there a couple of hours ago.

Saw some spots I went eel fishing off a few years ago (few small bridges)... Well, I saw raging water, I didn't actually see the footpath bridges, as they were fully submerged.

As for the bullies, I'll go put out a set bait now, as when the tide comes in, the sharkies might come in with it! Score!

Ok, jokes aside. We're in a low area, but hopefully sufficiently tucked away from the river... Hopefully. Time will tell!

If the predicted heights are accurate there will be a lot more damage than the 1974 floods. There are so many more new houses built on land that went under and the majority are low set.

Then there are all the units that have replaced old queenslanders where all the parking is in basements.

Just hope rain stops now. I could not bear to see a repeat of the loss and devestation that I witnessed after 74.Back then the average price of a 3 bedroom house was around one years wages and people had a bit of a chance to get on their feet again. Different story today.

Cheers

Ray

latest update on SEQ Water was that they were hoping Inflow = Outflow within 3 hours of the notice (at 6pm) At this stage, they said water releases will be about 688,000 Megalitres a day.

Ignoring any future inflows, thats enough to completely empty the dam from its full flood mitigation capacity in 4 days.

That's an extraordinary amount of water.

PS has anyone checked out the river height?

It's now low tide, and its sitting higher (and the City Gauge) than it usually sits at high tide...

could this be the first time bligh is right?

She couldn't predict the cold if she was in a snow storm. Don't forget those two get told what to say. What I am more concerned about is what they are going to do money wise to clean up and help the families that lost there homes, not much was done about up north, the locals had to rely on charity. Its sad to see the government talking but not putting the money were the mouth is, charity starts at home! rant over, just sick of seeing those two on the tv spinning bs. Having said that hopefully the insurance companies wont turn around and say, 'act of god', so they get out of covering claims.

only minutes ago Campbell Neuman on channel 9 report down graded the peak height for Brisbanes expected peak tomorrow. Also another scumbag caught trying to steal a boat from Brissy river....geeeze can we declare them feral animals and put them in + sights

Archived