Australia Day Madness

tugger

Went for a last shot at the pelagics on the goldie before i packed up camp at tallebudera so the plan was to hit the gravel patch with a few mates who followed me out in there boats. There was 4 boats in our fleet and we were met by very light winds and a smooth ride out to the grounds we passed a group of boats on the inner patch but most of my marks are wider. So we ended up just short of a mile further on from the rest and i dropped anchor and set about sending baits out.

It wasn't long before we had some livies aboard which got quickly rigged and sent out then it seemed i had a sign on my boat for all the idiots trolling to come right passed me. They were so close at times i could shake there hands and this was not stretching the truth at all i had lines tangeled up from 3 diferent boats in my canopy and anchor rope. Another chap was high speed trolling past me just 10m from me and didn't see anything wrong with this when i told him to move away a bit more. So thorwing a large silver slug seemed to do the trick with most of these guys they soon got the picture.

This reef area is about 2 nautical mile sqaure so its not like there's little room for these guys to do there thing and if i hadn't of gone wider no one would be out there they all would have been on the closer grounds. Anyway we started to get some fish strikes after i kept these boats away and we lost many fish then my deckie boated a good size spotty. It wasn't untill late in the morning till we got another hit on the livie and it raced off with me fighting it for another 30 minutes.

This fight was taxing so i called for the stand up harness and strapped myself in to the rod which is better for the back and arms. Finally getting this monster close enough to see it was a large shark around 200kilos plus i cut the line to get back to the real business. Another livie was deployed and we sat back and recovered from the fight then a little while longer it was my mates go for the big rod. This would turn out to be his 2nd spanish ever so he was rapted but it wasn't over yet.

It was a morning for many strikes that got away from snip offs or not hooking up propely but this is mackerel fishing sometimes. Finally as we were cleaning up the boat to go home i land another good size spotty from 1 of the last baits. By this time there is only my boat and another mates boat out there the breeze had gone completely and it was like glass out there. Only 1 of the boats my mates come out in got 1 spotty the rest came up empty but this happens sometimes they are thick other times not. I think it was a matter of trying diferent things to get them to bite which we had to do this day as we got alot of strike while sending the baits back with the cureent a bit strong for the morning.

All in all it was a good day with perfect weather and a few fish in the box

post-4390-144598570119_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598570125_thumb.jpg

nice way to top off a great holiday mark!! mick and i dragged the tinnie out and worked thee closer area and had the same problem with trollers. we tried a game of point and drive and see how many boats take off in the direction we pointed, a very amusing game :silly: :lol: i had one boat racing us in every direction we pointed and yelled there they are!!

we tried a game of point and drive and see how many boats take off in the direction we pointed, a very amusing game :silly: :lol: i had one boat racing us in every direction we pointed and yelled there they are!!

haha i always wondered if that would work!

did you fellas get on to any macks

nice way to top off a great holiday mark!! mick and i dragged the tinnie out and worked thee closer area and had the same problem with trollers. we tried a game of point and drive and see how many boats take off in the direction we pointed, a very amusing game :silly: :lol: i had one boat racing us in every direction we pointed and yelled there they are!!

not for a couple of years but if you do pin them through the upper lip and troll as slow a you can

i always use wire the mackerel have the sharpest teeth in the sea and a long trace for the spanish as they can get the bait down a long way so i use around 1.5m trace

nice work mark.

do you ever troll livies around?

and do you use mono trace or wire?

did you fellas get on to any macks
nah mate i wish!! we lucked out, poor mick drank a lil too much at coomera the night before and had a wicked berly trail going :sick: , the macks did not like it though :P:lol: :lol: it was fun crossing the bar for the first time in my v nose punt.

post-4300-144598570874_thumb.jpg

post-4300-14459857088_thumb.jpg

Archived