Mates and your gear

max pwr

Starting this topic to see if anyone has any stories ( hopefully funny ones ) about lending fishing ghear to your mates and being returned modified (broken)

Was just having a chuckle to myself cos I'm bored at work about my mate Farmer Geoff. Bought a cheap gaff, used a couple times on sharks and geoff decided to smash in an eel's head with it one night. needless to say next time I used the gaff the metal collar and gaff point detatched from the handle. That's cool, stuff happens.....replaced the gaff no worries and very next trip Geoff's got an eel and dealing with it when I hear SNAP! gaff number two wtf?

So now he knows gaffs are not for hitting eels, couple weeks later 5ft eel needs to be dealt with, so he nets it (with my net) no dramas, then belts it with the net handle, now I have a two piece net handle...spose it doesnt matter cos the eel ripped the hell out of the net anyway!

Anyhoo last weekend Geoff gets another eel and i hear him saying " need something to hit this with...ah! the lipgrips" i couldn't watch and just sat there saying nothing shaking my head till a few minutes later he announces " um... I thing the lipgrips are broken dude" go figure.

Should mention he bought me a better aluminium handled gaff to replace the broken one:cheer:

ge wiz i think everyone would have one of those stories, i now dont lend fishing gear other than some cheap stuff i keep just for that purpose and for the kids. The last time i lent a mate one of my good setups was a few years back (mmm maybe 16 yrs back) when he asked to have a cast of my new Bantam baitcaster and rod, can't remember the rod as i only had it for a couple days, my mate had a little play and inspection to admire and then took a cast with my lge supa cobra (were hard to get at the time), (my favourite colour too) when he bird nested big time (spool of line unsalvagable), snapped the line, lost the lure and f&$% me the end of my rod flew off out into the river never happend to me, never seen it happen before or after this time. I don't normally have 2 piece rods either but i was hitting the road with him so bought this 2 piece to fit behind the seat of my ute.

Another funny story, i was out shooting with the nephew of my boss at the time, we were shooting cockies (with a permit) on a walnut farm when he winged one, he raced up to it on the ground and before i could say anything he clubbed it with the stock of the rifle, (double barrel shoty) i was shocked and in disbeleif, fortunately he had spent both rounds but as he clubed the cocky (and missed) he split the stock on the rifle. His comment to me was "they do it in the movies":ohmy:

First time one particular bloke came out on my boat we hadn't left the ramp and he forced the glovebox open and broke the catch. :dry: Had to duct tape it shut. Then we anchor up and put the rods in the holders. He has an enquiry and lifts the rod up and drops my stainless steel rod holder overboard. :huh: We decided to move and he, having broader shoulders than me, forced his way thru the window to get to the anchor and broke the window off one of the hinges. :ohmy: We don't fish together anymore. :S

I still prefer to do things myself these days. :unsure:

well my storie is not funny but i had an shackphere??? albcore 80, an awsom and expencive reel, set me back $1200 somewhere when they first released their new modle. anyway i lent him the 80 as he wanted to do some shark fishing. me knowing him for 2 yrs now i didnt think twice about it.

1 week passed and ask him when he is returning it. ow i will be down in acouple of days. this went on and on for 1 month.

he rang me back up and said can i use it again seeing i still have it. yeh ok but bring it back.

4 days passed, mick where is my rod and reel ow its at my bros place in redland bay. i will get it for you in the next few days.

this went on for months, and then i lost contact with him. he moved and dissappered off the face of the earth.

i managed to track him down 3 months ago and told him if he doesnt give my reel back their will be hell to pay. sorry dude i forget all about it, your rod and reel is in storage, my bro and his wife split and he has all his gear stored....

once again he has disapered, and still to this day 1 ¾ years on i can not contacked him via mob, home or face book. so for all you guys out their his name is mickeal wilson and last i new he lived over bracken ridge way. please give him a message, revenge is bliss and karma has a mate called vandetta. please anyone p.m me if know something... cheers kurt

Well my view is I wont lend anything to mates or money, as i have lossed a few friends over this and i bleave its just not worth it. Some people may say im wrong but it not worth the bull **** :ohmy:

some funny ones there peeps:P mine goes like this, i went halves in a small tinny years ago with an old mate, exelllent little boat with great fish carma lol any way he wanted to take it out with his boss one night and i couldnt go [family commitments at the time] he has no marine licence so he told me his boss did, it was only a 15hp but that np boss got licence, so of they go, three days later i get it back with a broken wheel bearing, broken roller so the boats not sitting right on trailer, and i found out they ran outta fuel in it too and the conditoins were terrible lol but that not all when i finnally up and running again i took it out for a quik arvo sess after work, when i went to throw the anchor out it wasnt attached to the rope, silly me for not checking and rushing to get it out but wtf who unties the bloody anchor?? me old mate and his idiot boss tied a grapling hook to it and never retied anchor afterwoods, i was fuming,lmao, i dont go halves and raley lend anything theses days, lmao,

cheers

some nice stories. about 3 weeks back i went fishing with a mate. i had a spare rod while fishing and he ask if he could use it. he rigged it up and chuck it in with a live herring. one thing he forgot to do was loosen the drag abit. soon a fish took off and the drag only going abit, i ran over but was too late the rod went over the rails and into the water lol. i didnt really mind because it was one of the cheaper combo. but next time will be sure to remind my mates to loosen the drag.

some nice stories. about 3 weeks back i went fishing with a mate. i had a spare rod while fishing and he ask if he could use it. he rigged it up and chuck it in with a live herring. one thing he forgot to do was loosen the drag abit. soon a fish took off and the drag only going abit, i ran over but was too late the rod went over the rails and into the water lol. i didnt really mind because it was one of the cheaper combo. but next time will be sure to remind my mates to loosen the drag.

Ahhh lesson in that one for everyone, you should "ALWAYS" loosen your dag when you wash/wipe your gear down to put away, it not only saves your drag system but pretty handy at avoiding the situation you just discribed, and you hear about it all the time.

Just remember that when you tighten your drag you are compressing your drag system and you rely on the compression for smooth drag opperation, the less compression you have the less consistent your drag and you get less compression by leaving your drag done up for long periods of time and exessive tightening of the drag system. ;)

Appologies if i have pointed out the obviouse, i am unfamiliar as to who is experienced and who is not. :blush:

I can't blame a mate for this one, I stupidly did it myself:

Was wading some flats (on Garden island West Aust) having a ball chucking plastics at flathead with a brand spanking new tcurve, all the while boasting about how awesome my new rod was. Up popped the biggest blue swimmer crab I have ever seen right in front of me. As I am partial to a feed of crab I attempted to wrap the leader around one of his claws. I succeeded in this and started dragging him to shore, but of course he still had a claw free which he used to latch onto the rod, breaking a foot off the tip.

Needless to say I was inconsolable for days.

I can't blame a mate for this one, I stupidly did it myself:

Was wading some flats (on Garden island West Aust) having a ball chucking plastics at flathead with a brand spanking new tcurve, all the while boasting about how awesome my new rod was. Up popped the biggest blue swimmer crab I have ever seen right in front of me. As I am partial to a feed of crab I attempted to wrap the leader around one of his claws. I succeeded in this and started dragging him to shore, but of course he still had a claw free which he used to latch onto the rod, breaking a foot off the tip.

Needless to say I was inconsolable for days.

Was playing a round of golf and spotted a BIG muddy on the bank of a pond, being partial to a bit of crab myself, i tried cohersing the criiter up the bank with a couple of clubs, :whistle: mmm well thets just say it was a soggy next 10 holes. :S

had a bloke come over one day to buy some gear upon arrival i offered him a beer to which they happily obliged, after making idle chit chat they proceeded to knock my boat off its chocks slamming on the jockey wheel spilling Precious beer everywhere.....no worries its a accident THEN half an hour later BANG same thing knocks the tinny off it chocks AGAIN!!!!!!!!! KISS ME lmao :silly: :silly:

First time one particular bloke came out on my boat we hadn't left the ramp and he forced the glovebox open and broke the catch. :dry: Had to duct tape it shut. Then we anchor up and put the rods in the holders. He has an enquiry and lifts the rod up and drops my stainless steel rod holder overboard. :huh: We decided to move and he, having broader shoulders than me, forced his way thru the window to get to the anchor and broke the window off one of the hinges. :ohmy: We don't fish together anymore. :S

I still prefer to do things myself these days. :unsure:

I apologised for all that . Geez. ROfl

Starting this topic to see if anyone has any stories ( hopefully funny ones ) about lending fishing ghear to your mates and being returned modified (broken)

Was just having a chuckle to myself cos I'm bored at work about my mate Farmer Geoff. Bought a cheap gaff, used a couple times on sharks and geoff decided to smash in an eel's head with it one night. needless to say next time I used the gaff the metal collar and gaff point detatched from the handle. That's cool, stuff happens.....replaced the gaff no worries and very next trip Geoff's got an eel and dealing with it when I hear SNAP! gaff number two wtf?

So now he knows gaffs are not for hitting eels, couple weeks later 5ft eel needs to be dealt with, so he nets it (with my net) no dramas, then belts it with the net handle, now I have a two piece net handle...spose it doesnt matter cos the eel ripped the hell out of the net anyway!

Anyhoo last weekend Geoff gets another eel and i hear him saying " need something to hit this with...ah! the lipgrips" i couldn't watch and just sat there saying nothing shaking my head till a few minutes later he announces " um... I thing the lipgrips are broken dude" go figure.

Should mention he bought me a better aluminium handled gaff to replace the broken one:cheer:

LMFAO :lol:

went barra fishin once with a bloke (good mate...eh hes ok ;) ) sharing each others tackle as we do, i grabed a big chunky 7mtr deep diver brand new from his tackle box.me mate says "that cost me 2 bucks ay if ya loose it you owe me 2 buck" , eh sounds fair to me. any way i got a strike ,hooked a barra.... well me mate didnt want the lure back now as it had my mojo all over it and was only good for me to use now well yeah thats fair enough thats the rules ....sweet I thought how good is that.:woohoo: determind to get his 2 bucks back that he paid for the lure we soon trolled over some shallow rocky ground about the 5mtr deep mark and what do ya know i lost it.:evil: :evil: ha dont blame him id do the same :P:lol: :lol:

ha easy come easy go i dont mind its just games we play.

had a bloke come over one day to buy some gear upon arrival i offered him a beer to which they happily obliged, after making idle chit chat they proceeded to knock my boat off its chocks slamming on the jockey wheel spilling Precious beer everywhere.....no worries its a accident THEN half an hour later BANG same thing knocks the tinny off it chocks AGAIN!!!!!!!!! KISS ME lmao :silly: :silly:

bloody daft setup probably :pinch: :P

Archived