Colour of Kayak

Liquor Box

Sorry to keep bugging you with mundane questions but here goes-

Do you think colour choice is important with a kayak?

I was thinking that because a kayakcan probably get into areas a boat cant and probably shallower too, maybe a bright colour may spook fish.

The kayak i am looking for comes in yellow or grey. Obviously yellow would allow other water craft to see me a lot earlier but i want to catch a lot of fish too.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hmmm, funny u ask actually. I have never thought about that. Some more info might help. If you are just going into local creeks and rivers say around 5 metres then go grey but if you are going offshore go yellow as it is alot deeper and alot more visible.

Just my opinion

/>http://www.wavewalk.com/KAYAK_FISHING_Questions_and_Answers.html

That website may help, it has FAQ about yak fishing.

It is quite good for beginners

No worries, you might also be interested in this site.

www.akff.net

It is good for kayaking.

Regarding your previous safety post in the brissy river use an anchor. The majority of kayak fishers use 1.5kg folding grapnel anchors with around 30metres of 4-6mm rope chain of about 1.5metres.

And definitely get a pfd i prefer manual inflatable type around $99.

Hey mate,

I recently bought a Viking Tempo Fisherman in granite grey. I dont think the fish would be spooked too much by a bright kayak, I have seen reports from people in bright yaks bringing in some very nice fish. Also I feel pretty safe in the granite yak and if you were going to wear a PFD they are pretty bright anyway. You could also wear a bright shirt while out on it. Either way I dont think it would matter too much so maybe just go for the yak you think looks better.

Might see you out on the water soon!

Hey mate,

as was stated ealier the color s not really a concern except to your pwesonal preferance.

I bought gray just because i liked the look.

However when i get my ocean kayak for straddy ill be getting yellow. This is on the off cance that i get swept out to sea, much easier to find!!!

Angus

Ok here is my thinking. I have a yellow Ocean Kayak \"Prowler 13\" I got it because when in times of need I like to think like a fish...bare with me..Most fish, in shallow water at least, are dark to black on top and light to white underneath. This is because when you are looking up you see sky, so your background is white, the big fish looking up is seeing your belly (white) in a white background, not easy to see. Looking the other way from sky to water doesn't really matter because unless you are fishing for flying fish you will want to be seen, especially by rescue hellicopters.

I catch flatties in the brisbane river in about 1m of water, sometimes on the third or fourth drift over a patch of flat in a bright yellow kayak. Also got hits directly under the boat in 2m of water with the top of my leader out of the water, the leader is only a metre or so long at the moment...

Archived