Offshore fishing charter Gold Coast

Death Ray

Hi all,

Last Sunday I went on a deepsea fishing charter with some other friends off the Gold Coast Seaway.

Action was completely slow. Undersized tailor and slimies was all caught. And even those were very sparce (between 3 of us we caught about 6-7). We did manage to catch one mid size Mack Tuna, but all in all I am starting to wonder if there are actually any decent fish stocks off the Gold Coast. I regularly catch more in the rivers and canals on the Gold Coast than we did last sunday, at least I regularly get a good run or so - even if they are pike eels or rays etc.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a day out on the water even if the fish are few and we all had a great time just wasting time, but I have been out with the same charter operater a few years back, and I thought that was a slow day, good grief...

Sustainable fishing on the Gold Coast Offshore is in serious decline unfortunately, too many charters mabye. I have lived on the Gold Coast for almost 30 years and have never seen such a general void of fish stocks for a long time.

All the best.

Andrew

There are good fish to be had, but heading out during office hours to bottom bash the close reefs is not going to produce very often.

you say deep sea, tailor and slimies are the inshore stuff, 20 fathom bait grounds, big fish action is usually large cobia the odd jew and snapa eating the tailor.

we usually fish 35-50 if bottom bashing through the day as do most boats i know who bring a feed back from out there, perlies are the main target and are still in reasonable numbers.

Good morning, hope you dont mind me butting in but I could do with a bit of info from some schooled locals. I'm new to Brizzy and have just purchased a 14' tinny, to take the wife and kids out in. Any bottom bouncing areas you recommend around wynnum? I would'nt mind giving crabbing a go any info on that would be great also.. thanx guys!

Hey Chubbstar around Wynnum you could try the inner bay island for snapper/squire. And the Wello point reefs.

Mate this would be a much better question to ask again in a new post. People wont see it here as its under an existing post if that makes sense.

Id start a fresh one under \"Saltwater\" in the forums.

Happy first post!

Angus

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I agree we were fishing too shallow. The operator was hampered a bit by the amount of clients (alleged anglers)being sick. I think he didn't want to go out too far, incase he had to come back in quickly.

Any tips out there on a charter operator that normally runs further out?

All the best.

Andrew

Archived