"King of Moreton Bay" Southern Qualifier Report

Orca

King of Moreton Bay (Southern Qualifier Round 1)

A beautiful S E Queensland winter morning greeted anglers as they set off to fish Round 1SQ (Bream) of the Austackle “King of Moreton Bay†Team Series event. Bream was the target species for the day with points being awarded according to length (25cms min) measured to the fork of the fish and not the tail.

post-9073-144598636954_thumb.jpg

SOME OF THE TEAMS LEAVING JACOBS WELL BOAT RAMP

This rule proved to create quite a hurdle to all teams. Fish were plentiful but a high percentage were between 22 and 24cms in length. Some teams also seemed to forget what species they were chasing as one boat landed a huge number of Flathead (that is next the round guys!) and another boat had 8 Tailor hooked up within the first 45 minutes of the off. Never the less, all teams managed to get some legal fish on the measure and avoid the dreaded doughnut.

With a morning run in tide, some teams headed out to the popular spots near the Jumpinpin Bar but found conditions difficult due to a much higher than forecast wind. Some of higher scoring teams found sheltered spots in places like the Coomera River and this proved to be much better strategy.

After 10 hours of fishing, Teams went back to the Pimpama Church hall to hand in their scoresheets and photographs and get stuck into some hot food cooked up by some of the ladies from Sundowners Fishing Club.

After 2 separate stewards enquiries relating to photographic evidence, the winners were announced and over $4000 of prizes handed out courtesy of Austackle and Suzuki Marine.

Results (Individuals)

Highest Individual Points (Senior Male) Steve Gregory 482 pts

Highest Individual Points (Senior Female) Natalie Connors 108 pts

Biggest Bream Brett Rayner 33cms to fork

post-9073-144598636969_thumb.jpg

NATALIE CONNORS BEING PRESENTED WITH A CAMO-STIK ROD BY BEN COLE

post-9073-144598636987_thumb.jpg

BRETT RAYNER'S BIG BREAM

Results (Top 3 Teams)

1. Team ANSA Steve Gregory & Steve Celovski 746pts

2. Team Anglers Connection Brett Rayner & Chad Paterson 582pts

3. Team Sundowners Charles Hudson & Fred Preston 316pts

post-9073-144598636977_thumb.jpg

Team ANSA (Steve Gregory & Steve Celovski) being presented with the winners prizes of 2 x Takeda Fireblade Spin Rods & Tackle Packs valued at over $1000.

NEXT ROUNDS

The first round of the Northern Qualifier (Bream) is on Saturday July 2nd 2011. The 2nd Round of the Southern Qualifier (Flathead) is on Saturday September 24th and the 2nd Round of the Northern Qualifier (Flathead) is on Saturday September 10th.

Although this is a Team Series culminating in a Grand Final, it is quite ok if teams just want to fish in 1 or 2 events. There is no requirement at all to fish in all of the rounds. For example, the 2nd Round of the Southern Qualifier (Flathead) is timed to occur the weekend before the Gold Coast Flathead Classic and teams may choose to enter this event and also use it as a “pre-fish†for the Classic.

For full information about this competition and to download entry forms, please go to

www.kingofmoretonbay.com.au

Entry Forms are also available at many tackle shops in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Was a nice day out, although a tough one (for me anyway). Launched on 6 and headed out towards the 'in bar when we saw some birds working. Well, even if it was a bream comp, too tempting for us! Just trolled in the area where the birds were working and ended up getting 7 or 8 tailor between Nat and myself (she got most of them :( ), and I managed to lose what would have been the biggest of the day (mid-high 40's) at the side of the boat - sign of things to come....

We anchored up at a few different spots through the morning trying to get out of the breeze, and avoid the current which was ripping through, but could only get onto marginally 'undersize' fish after fish after fish. Ended up finding a few better fish on a drift run, which saw Nat get two legals (enough to get her top of the ladies) and saw me drop a well legal bream boatside. Ended up heading back in at about one, luckily Nat's two fish were still enough to get us into the prizes, each picking up a travel rod combo, stubby cooler and cap, not bad considering the entry fee was only $40!

Will hopefully be able to enter the next bream round or the flattie round, will have to see when it gets a bit closer!

Cheers

Where is the next comp launching from and how to get into the comp

You can launch from wherever you choose but you must attend the briefing. Just go to the website: www.kingofmoretonbay.com.au and download a couple of entry forms. Full details are on the site. The next round is in a couple of weeks time - Headquarters and briefing is at Birkdale - Redlands Sporting Club

It turned out to be a pretty good day for me. Given the only bream I had caught was from a surf-fish at Fraser, I wasn't too sure how they bite or how they fight. And I was pretty impressed at how much gusto the little ones had.....and there were a lot of little ones!!! As Jords said, I managed to get two legals which was enough for the ladies section....didn't come close to the bloke’s leader.

Poor Jords had some shocking luck throughout the day. He couldn't net a legal bream and managed to drop a couple of BIG fish boatside....he even managed to pull in a stick! :S There comes a point in the day where it just isn't funny anymore, but to his credit he managed to keep his sense of humour (that's fishing I guess). Was a pleasure fishing with you Jords...and I’m keen to attack the bass when the season opens up. :-)

Many thanks to Austackle for a great comp. I'm up for rounds 2 & 3 for sure.

This is one of the friendliest and easiest comps I have fished in. Very welcoming and your chances of winning something are high, as they've put a lot of money into the prizes. I might even look into the northern bay qualifiers as well....and give some yak fishing a go. The scoring for the fish means a fluky whopper doesn’t necessarily take out 1st prize which I found refreshing. Very well organized and highly recommended.

I went home with some good gear – new Camostick baitcaster, travel rod combo and some austackle merch.

Get on it guys, there were prizes galore! :woohoo:

Cheers

Nat

It turned out to be a pretty good day for me. Given the only bream I had caught was from a surf-fish at Fraser, I wasn't too sure how they bite or how they fight. And I was pretty impressed at how much gusto the little ones had.....and there were a lot of little ones!!! As Jords said, I managed to get two legals which was enough for the ladies section....didn't come close to the bloke’s leader.

Poor Jords had some shocking luck throughout the day. He couldn't net a legal bream and managed to drop a couple of BIG fish boatside....he even managed to pull in a stick! :S There comes a point in the day where it just isn't funny anymore, but to his credit he managed to keep his sense of humour (that's fishing I guess). Was a pleasure fishing with you Jords...and I’m keen to attack the bass when the season opens up. :-)

Many thanks to Austackle for a great comp. I'm up for rounds 2 & 3 for sure.

This is one of the friendliest and easiest comps I have fished in. Very welcoming and your chances of winning something are high, as they've put a lot of money into the prizes. I might even look into the northern bay qualifiers as well....and give some yak fishing a go. The scoring for the fish means a fluky whopper doesn’t necessarily take out 1st prize which I found refreshing. Very well organized and highly recommended.

I went home with some good gear – new Camostick baitcaster, travel rod combo and some austackle merch.

Get on it guys, there were prizes galore! :woohoo:

Cheers

Nat

Well done Nat. You really did do well under the circumstances. It was interesting that the new colour Boneehead lure which we specifically made for Flathead was proven to be absolutely fantastic for tailor as well.

Archived