first trip to northpine

Jordan

not sure if this report has already gone up from one of the other boys as ive been busy with work and havnt had a chance to have a look but its not here as far as i can see, so heres my tale...

troy, my brother and i all left for northpine at about 4.30, and stoped off along the way to pick up jake (reef raider). we got there to find it was still dark and started our hike to wherever we were going to. just after sunrise i was the first one on, my first ever bass! went to take a picture but realised id left the camera in the car, so let the fish go and ran back to the car. half an hour later i was back and expecting an earfull of all the fish theyd caught, but this was not the case, as no one had caught anything.

checked one of the pots to reveal 9 crays/yabbies/lobbies whatever they are, a whole heap of tilapia and a catfish. soon after this jake had to leave for footy.

i strayed from troy and jared to a fishy looking arm. after half a dozen 'your not gonna catch anything there, your wasting ur (swear word) time' i had my first cast. after just one crank of the handle i was on, and this time i had the camera.

i was feelin pretty bad for my brother as he had come all this way, got up real early and sacrificed a whole day of computer playing and he hadnt even caught anything yet.

as i was staring into the middle of the dam i noticed a fish surface. 'isnt that nice' i thought, 'dolphins in the lake'. as i soon realised how stupid this thought was i sarted jumping up and down and yelling and pointing at it, troy told me it was a lungfish. it was enormous. i sure wouldnt mind getting onto one of them one day.

the clouds were getting heavy and the day was looking glum, we had 15 minutes left and everyone was in a sour mood (except for me, i was up 3 lures and had caught my first bass!) troy called us to a spot he said had worked well before, so jared and i both casted at the same time, and bang!! he was on. it was great to see all his effort pay off as his face lit up with his first fish. just as i was watching him bring it in, mine went off as well, we were both fighting a fish at the same time, and both brought in 2 fish of the same size, (25 cm's or so i think).

off we went for home after that, taking with us 11 crays.

jared: 1 bass

me: 3 bass

troy: 1 bass

pics coming soon

na this was last weekend haha just havnt had a chance to put a report up until now, we got the crays at about 11 am, then caught another 3 or so over the rest of the day. we heard from heaps of people that half cooked potatoes are the go?

Thanks, also How far out did you throw your pots? and where were you fishing (or, if you can't say that info for secret reasons, how deep was the water where you got them)?

Reason being that we have only caught 2 redclaw before and that was in a little creek 2-3m deep at Forgans Cove

Thanks

im really not sure where we were, we were fishing on the other side of a big hill that we walked over from the car park, i have a hunch that it mite have been forgans. the pots were out deep as, i swam out to put them there but it was still really shallow. this seemed like a good spot because i heard shallow is good, and if its far away from land, that has to be good as well. we had four pots and for the most part the others diddnt get a thing, so to get 9 in one go with all those other fish was a real fluke.

Feral wrote:

Be bl@@dy careful swimming in dams Jordan, its so easy to hit a patch of weed, which can put you in real trouble. It wraps around you and you cant swim in it.

Also the rangers take a dim view of it no swimming allowed in dam but you wouldnt get me getting my feet wet its too cold.

Ray

Archived