Pine River Flathead session

woody1

I had planned an early morning session in the Pumicestone Passage with a mate who has been overseas for a few months and was craving a fish now that he's back in Australian waters. With the miserable weather Saturday night and the forecast for rain sunday we decided to cancel the trip, and have a big night Saturday instead. When I finally crawled out of bed around 10am Sunday, I cursed the dodgy weather forecasters and called my mate Matt and the trip was back on. We were both a bit short on time tho so decided to head closer to home to the Pine River

We got to Deep Water Bend ramp at about 12 and I remembered why I never fish on weekends. With a line of 5 beats waiting to head down the ramp and a carpark full of trailers we headed on down to Dohles Rocks ramp to find about 10 trailers and a free ramp.

We headed for the mouth of the river and started throwing some plastics around. Matt had never caught a fish on plastics and didn't believe they work, so I was out to prove him wrong. After drifting aroud for about an hour throwing 4" Gulp Minnows in 'smelt' colour I finally got a hit, after a great, drag pulling fight on 8lb leader up came my PB flattie at 65cm. After a quick couple of photos I sent her back on her way. Sorry about the crappy pics but they were just taken on the iPhone.

post-1348-144598650003_thumb.jpg

post-1348-144598650011_thumb.jpg

So with Matt convinced that these plastic things actually work, I reset the drift and when we reached about the same spot, I was on again, this time to a smaller model.

post-1348-144598650017_thumb.jpg

post-1348-144598650025_thumb.jpg

Next drift I was on again but this time it was a little more fiesty, Up came a nice Tailor, probably about 40cm with another one the same size right next to it. Unfortunately it snipped through the leader just beside the boat. We threw a slug around for a while hoping to pick up some Tailor but couldn't get a hit, so reset the drift and I was on again with another 45cm model.

post-1348-144598650041_thumb.jpg

post-1348-144598650052_thumb.jpg

Next drift I got a call from work so put the rod down to chat on the phone for a while, when I looked over and realised Matt was onto his first ever plastic caught fish. I was able to net the fish while sorting out the problems back at the office, and Matt had landed a nice little 50cm Flattie.

post-1348-144598650058_thumb.jpg

Keeping in the pattern of a fish every drift, we both hooked up on the next drift but lost both fish

Next drift and Matt pulled up the smallest fish of the day at about 43cm

post-1348-144598650068_thumb.jpg

After this fish the tide turned and it was time to head back in. A quick encounter with a sandbar and we were on our way back to the empty Dohles Rocks ramp.

All fish were released and I will definately head back and explore more of the Pine River after this session

Thanks guys, very glad my mate is into plastics now, means my boat wont be covered in dirty, stinky bait all the time :woohoo: We didn't keep any of the flatties for a feed, sent them all back after a few quick photos ready to catch when we head back Thursday :)

Archived