Beginner boat/fisher - North Pumicestone tips?

dieselpower

Hey all, I'm Tom - new in these parts.

I fished a bit as a kid when we were on holidays (mostly around Amity Pt on Straddie) and have had a few trips out in a boat. I have recently moved to the Sunshine Coast and don't fish enough but really want to get into it, especially since getting my boat license.

I'm borrowing a mates boat for a couple of weeks and am planning to head out into Pumicestone Passage this weekend.

Does anybody have some pointers as to where I might be able to pick up a few fish this weekend? I'd love to catch something worth keeping - it's been a long time since I had a feed of fish that I've caught!

Thanks in advance :)

G'day Tom welcome to the site mate, put it out there with a firm date on the going fishing noticeboard and you may be able to get someone with a bit of experience on the area to show you around. As a bonus you get to meet someone from the site whIch I'm sure you would enjoy because we are all wonderful people :lol:

Welcome aboard.

If you haven't fished for awile it may pay to refamiliarise yourself with the fishing regulations as they have changed quite a bit over the years. I'm feeling lazy so just Google Queensland Fishing Regulations and select the DPI site. :)

Assuming you are a bait fisherman, I suggest some live bloodworms on a smallish longshank hook and light sinker above a 30 - 45 cm leader on light line will get you a feed of whiting along the edge of weed beds and sandbars if you are in the Passage at Caloundra. Keep a small legal whiting (23cm) and rig it up on another line to drift for flathead while you are catching the whiting. This always made for a good productive day in the Passage when I lived there (1985 :blush: )

Good luck.

Archived