kooka park - 17.07.07

novrain

Crusty rang me up and asked if I wanted to go fishing over the weekend. I wasn’t working so decided to make the trip out to kooka park with him.

Picked me up at about 1230. didn’t have any bait on us so we had to make to with tweed bait from the store on the way there. It was a fantastic day but boy, was the park full. We got there at about 1ish and the entire stretch was just full of people milling around. There were at least 15 dogs running around the place that day.

Couldn’t really get a spot anywhere along the river so crusty suggested near the boat ramp. We unloaded and moved to our set-up point. Bloody tweed bait prawns are really quite bad so I don’t suggest buying them unless desperate. Recommend fresh bait anytime, even better if live.

Casted out and just sat there looking at the boats running up and down the river, people unloading boats. Too much traffic for even a bloody guppy. I didn’t think we would get anything……….wait for it………… a big fat …. nothing….and yes we didn’t get anything.. hahaha.. some of you must have been thinking we landed something.

Anyway crusty started chatting to some old bloke about spots and he told us either move upstream or downstream. We packed up and decided to move downstream. As we moved up stream, the river dropped away from us, it was at least 10feet away from where we were standing. There weren’t really any good spots to really bash through to get down to the river but we came across this fishy looking spot where a tree had fallen over. Crusty (in true break a leg style) launched himself straight into the fray and ‘tumbled’ down to the log.. by tumbling I mean really scrambling down to the log… he got down but then we were thinking we wouldn’t be able to do it with tackle and all. Think the best would be to anchor up with a boat cos it looked like it was a pretty deep hole…

Anyway up he came and off we went downstream… the weather started getting a little hot as we drove down towards the start of the park. Unloaded again and trekked a little downstream. Finally came upon this opening in the bushes and we set up camp. Cast out and before we could even sit our asses down, a group of people came and promptly parked themselves next to us. Now this is where it gets interesting..

I don’t mind fishing with other people if they were at least polite and considerate about it but this group was plain awful. Besides belching and I mean big disgusting bleches all the time, they were just noisy and unfriendly. I burp myself but these burps could be heard across the river. Kid was running around throwing stuff, the dad was just walking up and down, the grand-dad I assume was tying on new line and left like 200 m of his old line lying on the ground.. didn’t even bother to pick it up.. they were spitting everywhere… just spoilt our day.. best bit was when I was putting on some bait when my phone rang. It was only at the second ring when one of them shouted ‘pick up the bloody phone’ .. I could have bloody thrown a brick at them but nope, won’t stoop to that level..

Anyway luck favours the polite or the graceful, they didn’t catch anything and we landed the fish. I was day dreaming when my rod almost launched itself into the river.. after a bit of fighting, I landed a fat bream on mullet flesh.. went about 30-31cm.. wasn’t the length that was amazing, it was how fat and healthy it looked. Crusty kept stroking it….

Didn’t catch anything much more later but loads of female crabs… each time we thought it was a snag but it was always a crab and just as soon as we get it out of the water, they drop back in… I managed to bring onto land 3 females and 1 male.. females went back in, male I took hom…

Then again , as we were day dreaming over a cup of tea, crusty’s rod went beserk, I just managed to grab it before it went into the water .. passed it to him and the fight was on… it was definitely a fish but we both thought it was an eel or a catty cos there weren’t any flashes of silver… as it came closer to the bank, our jaws dropped.. it was a massive flattie.. I daresay 60 or more...(that’s massive to me)… as it got closer, I heard crusty’s line give a squeak and I was just about to tell him to loosen his drag when ‘SNAP’….. snapped the line and off it went…another one bites the dust… but it was a big flattie.. that’s the 2nd time that I’ve been standing next to crusty when he lost a flattie.. im a jinx I reckon

Nothing else landed except a small bream which was released…

The Osbournes left soon after and we had almost the whole place to ourselves…we had to pick up their rubbish for them….

Left around 430 cos crusty wanted to show me how mt crosby weir looked like… we got there and the place was just depressing.. the dam wasn’t really flowing and the wells were dry.. hope the rains come soon enough…

Anyway, that’s about all we did for the day.. always good to get out for a fish ….will get out sometime soon hopefully.. we might be hitting the toowong boat clubs next week so let me know if anyone is interested…

Thanks for reading guys

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Bream_takes_a_dive_.jpg

post-212-144598418623_thumb.jpg

Archived